Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Dr. apt.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Dr. apt.

Postby akemt » Thu May 06, 2004 10:03 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu May 06, 2004 10:03 am

Sorry I didn't post this yesterday...or the day before [;)] I've been kinda busy. Britton broke one of the lugnuts on his car and of course didn't have the right tool at home to get the stuck half out so I ended up driving him to work yesterday, having my meeting, going to lunch with him, then picking him up. LOL Mechanics and their cars.

SO ANYWAY, my appointment went well. She said my labs came back good...only value she told me was creatinine at .6 and I didn't press for the others. Odd thing was that she kept using the term "superimposed preeclampsia" instead of Pre-e this time...thought she had said she wouldn't consider me as an underlying
chronic hypertension patient since my BP's started out so great. Oh well. LOL

She has also decided to do ultrasounds every 2 weeks now (each appointment) instead of every four. I'm not sure exactly why but don't mind, honestly [:D] She'll be looking at afi one time and growth measurements the next.

I was asked if I wanted weekly appointments and said no...at this point they wouldn't do much other than what I do at home. And if I'm ever concerned, they'll know right away appointment or no.

I have the orders for my next 24 hr urine. They want it done in just about 2 weeks. Have orders for my glucola too...fun!

My next appointment is actually in 3 weeks since my doctor is going out of town, so I have a drop-in bp/urine/weight check in 2 weeks (when I'll be doing my tests too).

Oh, and I've actually lost 2 lbs again...though pitting is still there. Okay, for you edema geniuses, what is it that causes the pitting? Last pg I had TONS of swelling but never pitting (like 30 lbs) untill after delivery...this time hardly any swelling visible as well as weight gain and I'm pitting. Was it just the bedrest? Rest doesn't change the pitting at all. I would have thought it was ammount of swelling but that doesn't seem to fit with me...am I just an odd-ball? Well...don't answer that! [:o)]

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Re : Dr. apt.

Postby laura » Thu May 06, 2004 10:23 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Thu May 06, 2004 10:23 am

Catherine, the edema is caused by leaky blood vessels- the vessels get leaks in them- like a leaky garden hose- and the watery part of the blood seeps through and collects in the interstitial (spelling?) space in the tissue. It's effected by gravity, so I'm guessing that your pitting is in your legs and feet? In that sense, bedrest can help- your body isn't fighting gravity to keep that fluid in circulation. You can have widespread swelling-mild vascular damage all over- or it can be worse in one place over another- like hands and feet. And I think the pitting is just a measure of how severe the edema is, not necessarily any different than garden variety edema, ykwim?

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby iansmom » Fri May 07, 2004 07:48 pm

by iansmom (254 Posts), Fri May 07, 2004 07:48 pm

From what I understand, pitting is more common in women with chronic htn. It is, however, not a big concern as long as it goes away (the pits). Either by increasing fluid and resting, or overnight. It does freak me out. I have been pitting for WEEKS now, but not a real concern. I still have a very vivid mental image of the OB demonstrating the pitting in my legs a few days after Ian was born. He grabbed my shin with all four fingers and left a hand print that took several minutes to go away. So, that is my sideshow trick now! Last week, DH was demonstrating to his father and now Ian walks up to me and pokes my leg a hundred times! At least I am a good source of entertainment.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby angelkat » Fri May 07, 2004 08:25 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Fri May 07, 2004 08:25 pm

Catherine..
Glad your appt went well. Glad your doc is keeping up with things....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby pugmommy7 » Sat May 08, 2004 07:57 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Sat May 08, 2004 07:57 pm

I remember when the pitting(last time) grossed me out.
Then it was so normal.
Crazy how we adjust to things.

Hang in there Catherine!

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby suzanne » Sun May 09, 2004 11:57 am

by suzanne (114 Posts), Sun May 09, 2004 11:57 am

Hi, Catherine, glad to hear that your appt. went pretty well!

I was told the "superimposed" PE thing too, that I might be getting that. And I don't understand it either, as my BP is fine when not pregnant! It seems like if the high BP starts right away in the pregnancy instead of at the "normal" PE time, they seem to think it's chronic hypertension. I don't see why that is----does anyone know? I know it's not yet PE if you don't have the edema and protein in the urine, but can't it just be pregnancy induced high blood pressure? I guess it's all just different names, and I shouldn't care, but I don't want to have chronic high BP!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby akemt » Mon May 10, 2004 09:43 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 09:43 am

Suzanne,

I actually wouldn't mind the diagnosis of underlying chronic hypertension brought out by pregnancy since that would mean they are more likely to treat my hypertension with meds. I was just saying that my doctor had said that my pre-pg pressures were so good she wouldn't diagnose that...then kept saying the term "superimposed" and confusing me. LOL If hypertension comes before 20 weeks (usually the cut-off line for preeclampsia diagnosis) then many doctors do consider it to be caused by underlying chronic hypertension. And, looking back, I started taking my BP 2 times a day just a few days before hitting 20 weeks. So, who knows?

Swelling isn't involved in the diagnosis of preeclampsia anymore (atleast in the US, it is a warning sign though). My swelling was a bit worse Friday evening and Saturday untill about mid-day. Now it is back to my "normal" swelling level I guess! LOL I am getting more irritable and tire really quickly now but it is hard to know whether that is simply pregnancy talking.

My mom asked Britton how I was doing after I left the room yesterday. LOL She is starting to get worried because of my tiring out and I felt so hot alot of the day yesterday. ? She knows about my swelling, etc. Britton says he thinks they'll put me on bedrest in the next few weeks. Though I can't see that happening untill something gets worse since I'm not on bedrest now. I'm really curious as to what my 24 hour urine says next week as my swelling came on after the first 24 hr.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby pugmommy7 » Tue May 11, 2004 08:11 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Tue May 11, 2004 08:11 am

Does this mean that the accelerated state the body is in during preg just brings these things out??
If so that explains my GD.( and hypertension)
It runs in my family.
When I am not preg diet alone can control my sugars.
hmmmmmm.....????

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby akemt » Tue May 11, 2004 09:20 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue May 11, 2004 09:20 am

Yep, that's the idea...The theory is that some of us are just destined to get hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, etc. So, add a bit of stress (or alot LOL) to an already stressed system and you can have all kinds of fun! [;)]

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Return to Pregnant Again?