One more ounce in the cup for me...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

One more ounce in the cup for me...

Postby akemt » Thu May 06, 2004 10:35 pm

LOL So Britt is talking with his dad...just found out his great-grandmother died of "kidney failure" along with her infant durring childbirth back in 1892. Wonder what that was, eh? Filling that pre-e cup rather well here! LOL

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Re : One more ounce in the cup for me...

Postby suzanne » Fri May 07, 2004 05:14 am

That reminds me so much of my family. It's not until about 2 years after I went though it all with my first son I found out my aunt had been hospitalized for a month with both her children before they were born, with "high blood pressure" and that my great-grandmother had died in childbirth after having "seizures". It seems sometimes like there is sort of rule of silence about pre-e. Like people just want to forget it as soon as they can...It's amazing how much my extended family already seems to have forgotten about all we went through when having William. I don't think I'LL ever forget, though..

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby angelkat » Fri May 07, 2004 05:22 am

I have ask over and over again and nobody's really news the history of my Great Grandparents.

Nobody knows a thing.... Lucky me...

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri May 07, 2004 05:42 am

Family history is so interesting to me. Neither my mother nor my two sisters have any problems what so ever with pregnancy or health issues. None of them even have stretch marks ~ My mother had 4 children, sister 2, sister pregnant with 5th!!!!! I have been blessed with stretch marks, pre-e, chronic hypertention, thyroid issues, varicose veins... and the list grows.

My father died in 1998. After his death we found out from his aunt that he had been adopted at birth by my grandparents. I have a sneaking suspicion that I take after his side of the family. Sad and frustrating part is that we have to records or way to find out where or who his family is.

Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ It's a GIRL! Laura Elise edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri May 07, 2004 05:43 am

Catherine ~

Have you named your baby yet?

hugs,
Suz

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ It's a GIRL! Laura Elise edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby mada » Fri May 07, 2004 07:00 am

Suz, Life's just not fair sometimes huh? So, I see you have a lovely name for your daughter!! Did you guys have that u/s yet?

Catherine, Isn't amazing what we find out about our history? None of my family really had any problems but my dh grandma had pre-e..don't know if that means anything but....

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby akemt » Fri May 07, 2004 09:22 am

Still sitting on Laura or Lara Julianne...LOL Britton won't give me the all-clear.

And pre-e runs in my mom's side of the family. My mother had it with her first, my grandmother had it (wrapped her legs in the am before getting out of bed because of the swelling, was to be induced early but went into labor that day on her own -asked last weekend), and my great-aunt had it. My dad's side is full of heart conditions of one sort or the other. His mother probably would never have spoken of such things so I have no idea if it runs in his family or not.

Oh, though I have to tell you something very sweet that my grandmother said. When I was asking her about it last weekend trying to get more information about her experience, she asked about what was happening this time around. My grandmother that turns 97 next month volunteered to come and watch my fiesty 14-month old if I got put on bedrest! LOL

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Postby jenny5 » Fri May 07, 2004 10:29 am

I just found out that my grandmother (who was in her 40's) was placed on bedrest for her fourth child due to "toxemia". I felt like yelling "HELLO, why did know one think to mention this four years ago?". No one else seems to make any connection.

And my mother said she "retained water" so badly at the end of her pregnancy with my younger sister that she couldn't wear her shoes and had to have her rings cut off. The doctor gave her "water pills". I shudder to think what could of happened to her...

Jenny

mom to Jake (8-28-98)
and Lucy (6-3-00) born 34 weeks due to severe pree
Baby Sam due 9/20/04
jenny5

Postby lauras » Fri May 07, 2004 11:31 am

My grandmother was one of 8 kids. She had 9 kids. Some of those have had 5, 6, 7 kids. Grandfather was one of 8 kids also. No one had complicated pregnancies and the women in my family live to the mid 90's, usually without ever being on medications. Until my experience, no one had ever even heard of pre-eclampsia. The little green monster rears its ugly head every time I think about it.

Catherine, my grandmother who is 94 has also offered to take care of Isabella if I go on bedrest. By the way, her name is Laura, too, so guess which name I'd vote for?

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Another girl! 8/24/04
lauras

Return to Pregnant Again?