Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Doctor Frustrations/ Possible Pre E again?!?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Doctor Frustrations/ Possible Pre E again?!?

Postby bethany » Fri May 07, 2004 11:28 am

by bethany (63 Posts), Fri May 07, 2004 11:28 am

Hey everyone, I have been keeping up with you all, just not posting much. I am hoping to get soem opinions :D
Okay where to start, with my Ds I had Pre-E, but was never truely diagnosed until I was in the hospital being induced due to super high BP. Whit DS my BP started rising close to 17 weeks and just kept getting worse...usually 140-150/90-100 something. I was very mismanaged, for example my Dr. put me on bed rest but then *forgot* he put me on bed rest and told me I didn't need to be, just to take it easy?? My last PG was horrible, I had constant swelling/headaches/stomach pain, and I feel quite confident that I had Pre-E for a while, even though they thought I had hypertension before I got PG which wasn't true.
Fast foward to now:

Right now I am 23 weeks. My BP has been consistently 100/70-80 since I was 6 weeks along. At my last appt it was 144/94. I know they fluctuate, but I have not had any high readings like this since my last pregnancy.Even the nurse said "Bethany OMG your BP is high!!!" I am still with the old doc and I am concerned because I am getting headaches that last days and will not go away with tylenol. His solution is to call me in a 'script for Tylenol 3?!?!?
Along with this, I fell last week, and was sent for a u/s. Well after the nurse did all my vitals, I went and read my chart. It said I Have partial placenta previa. Well my doc said NOTHING about it. I knwo that it can sometimes move, but isn't that a condition that needs to be monitored?
*sigh* feel like I am getting screwed here, but because of insurance issues, I don't have many options on switching doctors.
bethany

Re : Doctor Frustrations/ Possible Pre E again?!?

Postby akemt » Fri May 07, 2004 12:12 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Fri May 07, 2004 12:12 am

Wow...not sure about the previa. I know that often ladies are placed on bedrest because of it but that normally it is found after bleeding/spotting in those cases. So, I don't know! Yes, they can move as your uterus grows as stretches.

Do you have a BP monitor at home? I would suggest checking it atleast once a day untill you can figure out what your baseline is right now. If you are getting readings in the 140/90 range, you need to be diagnosed and watched much more closely. My bp's (normally) run 100/60's and I'm currently in the 130/80's for the most part and being watched closely. I would hope the same would happen for you (perhaps even better care).

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Postby sonja » Fri May 07, 2004 01:04 pm

by sonja (5658 Posts), Fri May 07, 2004 01:04 pm

Your bp's are getting really high, I think that calls for some course of action. If your OB is not doing something - like ordering 24 hour urine tests, blood work and extra tests I would see about finding a different OB. It sounds like you might have cronic hypertension - which is what they usually say if you bp starts going up during your second trimester - you may not have signs of it now in your life, but the 9 months of pregnancy is bringing out symptoms of what you will probably have to deal with later in life. Your headache not going away is a sign that is not good. I suggest reading through lots of the different posts here and getting to know everything you can about pre-e. Take care and continue that bed rest!

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby pugmommy7 » Sat May 08, 2004 08:01 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Sat May 08, 2004 08:01 pm

Bethany,
I literally gasped reading this post.
Call your ins provider and see what you can do.

I would really worry about him rx-ing a class "d"(narcotic), to a 23 week preg. patient.(tylenol3=codine)

The b/p thing alone would have me running for the hills, but the previa...forget it, there has to be some option.
Good luck. I am praying for you!!
Love, J

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Return to Pregnant Again?