Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Nephrologist visit etc.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Nephrologist visit etc.

Postby suzanne » Fri May 07, 2004 01:41 pm

I saw a nephologist (kidney specilist) today due to concerns about high levels of protein in a few samples a month or so ago. Since then I did a 24 hour test which came out COMPLETELY NORMAL which was a happy feeling! But my OB and my internest still wanted me to keep the nephologist appt. I'm glad I did as she was wonderful. Took a more complete history than any I've had taken, and asked a very lot about a stomach flu I had around the time of the high protein, and about my bad reaction to Aldomet and all about my other pregnancies. She ordered a LOT of blood tests (8 vials full) to make sure I don't have underlying kidney problems, but told me she knows my OB well and feels she knows about as much about "proteinurira" as any nephologist. That was great to hear!

My 23 week appt. on Wed. was mixed. My BP has been running very good! It's around 120/70 (I am on Labetolol). However, blood tests showed my anemia is MUCH worse and I had to take much larger iron doses and might need iron by IV if that doesn't work. Also, I failed the one hour gloucose test and have to go Monday for the 3 hour---I hope I pass that as pregnancy induced diabetes is ONE thing I've never had before!

Thanks all for listening! I read every post here and it's wonderful to hear other's views and experiences!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Re : Nephrologist visit etc.

Postby mada » Fri May 07, 2004 02:16 pm

I am so glad your appt. went well. I am glad your protien came back normal and yet they are still checking for anything else! That's so reassuring for you. SO sorry about the anemia though, I hope the added iron works for ya...Goodness, I hope your 3 hour comes back good too!! You've been through enough!!! Keep us posted on everything!! Do you have any names picked out yet?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby akemt » Fri May 07, 2004 04:49 pm

Do you know your 24 hr protein level? I was told "good" too but that it would be repeated. All I knew at the time was that 300 = preeclampsia. Now I know that 150 or less is normal. I was in the 180's. So, not bad but not good either. You may be in the range with me and that might be why they sent you? Great to hear though!

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Postby suzanne » Fri May 07, 2004 07:22 pm

We are not totally settled on names yet, Mada! My husband really wants it decided in advance, but I just can't decide between two---Lydia or Laurel! Laurel is my best friend's name and a name I love, but Lydia is the name I'd chosen at age 10 in case I ever had a girl, and it just seems like that IS my girl's name---so we'll see! Most people I ask seem to vote for Laurel.

I don't remember the exact numbers on the 24 hour urine, Catherine, they did tell me though! They quoted two numbers, I think one was the protein and one the creatine? Both were right smack dab in the middle of the range of normal numbers---I think maybe around 150 for the protein?? I will ask again and write them down this time!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby mada » Fri May 07, 2004 07:29 pm

I vote Lydia!!

Mada Harpster-pregnant again moderator

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby angelkat » Fri May 07, 2004 08:36 pm

Voting for Lydia (I like that name!)

Glad your appt went well...

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby mamakimberly » Sat May 08, 2004 05:11 am

Good! I'm glad your levels are better!

I hope you don't have GD! Ick!

Kimberly (voting for Lydia)

Kimberly
Mama to Libby, 12/13/02
pre-e/HELLP/induction/c-section
Scheduled c/s planned 7/30/04 for baby Katie, so far a healthy pg!
mamakimberly

Return to Pregnant Again?