Post Reply FAQ Members Login

DR APt, and Trace Proteins??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

DR APt, and Trace Proteins??

Postby bethany » Mon May 10, 2004 05:41 pm

by bethany (63 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 05:41 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I go there...wait 45 mins, Kai was fussy, so I told them forget it, and I went up stairs to my regular Doc. I talked to the nurse, and she took my BP with a Thigh Cuff (the extra big one for fat ppl) then took it with my cuff ( a little bit smaller but fits my arm Perfectly-does not try to come off ect>) and got 2 different readings. Thigh cuff (which is too big for my arm, but they think since I am fat I need it??) It was 120/80...Mine was 144/92. I KNOW my cuff is accurate, and I talked to the nurse about the thigh cuff being low because it was big and she agreed. SO anyways, my Doc just sends me back to my OB. The OB nurse goes on and on about how I should send my cuff back to the company because it is inaccurate. She take my BP with the thigh cuff and it was lower...about what my doc got, but it is so big it almost wraps my arm twice! Then doc comes in and takes my BP with both142/90 on mine 120/80 with the big cuff, I try to explain to him about the thigh cuff being too big...No he is convinced that my cuff is wrong and told me to just subtract 20 from the top and 10 from the bottom...#@?! When he takes my Bp he pumps it up, missed the sounds...pumps it back up before letting it all out....misses the sounds...pumps it up again...this happend like 5 times and at no point did he stop, let all the air deflate, and then try to retake it. I need to find some articles on cuff sizes because I am sure this is the difference...I am a big girl, but my arms are small....*sigh* so I still ahve a headache, and told him and he said well ahve you tried tylenol? DUH! if it were that simple I wouldn't be here, I told him it doesn't work it is a constant dull aching headache. He tells me , oh well do you want T3...Ummm...no I want lower BP! SO he did draw some labs which he said "I am SURE there will be nothing wrong" and he acted like I was forcing him to order them. I did have Trace proteins in my urine, but he said it was nothing like +1 or +2, Uhh yeah I'd hope not!! Does trace proteins really mean "nothing?" He didn't care anything about the swelling of my hands/legs, which I have had None (or nothing noticable) this entire pregnancy.I am done with him, I just need to find a different doc.

bethany

Re : DR APt, and Trace Proteins??

Postby ileana » Mon May 10, 2004 06:15 pm

by ileana (1010 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 06:15 pm

Actually, the smaller cuff might give false highs... Check this previous post

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1969

And he is sort of right, trace is not +1 or +2, must be watched, but it can be normal, it's not nothing, but it's not too significant either. But I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?

It is however important to have good communication with your doctor, so if you feel he does not answer your questions, it's a good idea to go with a different doctor or at least ask for a second opinion... the substract 20/10 is sort of funny so I can understand where you're coming from. Good luck and keep those pressures low!

Ileana
IT Coordinator
Preeclampsia Foundation

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)
ileana

Postby bethany » Mon May 10, 2004 06:43 pm

by bethany (63 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 06:43 pm

Right, and I have read the link provided...
based on the measurements, my arm is right at 13inches. that is the cut off for the regular cuff.The next cuff size up is the ADULT LARGE and that is for arms ranging in the 14inch-17inch range.That is the size cuff I have. The next size up is the ADULT THIGH CUFF, which is what my doc has been using on me...arm measurements for that are minimum 17.7 inches and up, which is why I think it is a fasle low reading, it is way too big for my arm.
*sigh* I guess it is just frustrating when I know my BP is up, that is the only time I get these headaches, and they take forever to go away.

[IMG]http://lilypie.com/days/040901/0/14/0/-5.gif[/IMG]

Mom to Kai -14 months (born @ 38wks due to Pre E)
bethany

Postby 5thtymachrm » Mon May 10, 2004 08:46 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 08:46 pm

Bethany,
I just left you a post up in the ask the exp section, your siggie must not have been clicked because I asked you if you had PE w/last pg. you can just ignore me :o)

Elizabeth
Moderator-On Bedrest
Seattle,WA
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby akemt » Mon May 10, 2004 09:13 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Mon May 10, 2004 09:13 pm

So, I'm not exactly sure how to answer this question. I was right at the cut-off measurement for my regular adult cuff towards the end of my last pg (swelling and weight gain kinda put me over) and it did give me false highs. I don't remember exactly how much of a difference but it was less than 20 points. We had my cuff checked on different occasions and it was off by the same ammount each time so in that way, we could still get an accurate reading by doing the subraction, though not ideal. The doctor's office had sent us home with a thigh cuff and it was way too large and gave very low readings so I returned it and they agreed with me on that. We eventually were able to find a large adult size cuff in town and are using it this time around as well with no worries of inaccuracy.

I'm a bit confused about your cuffs? You have the large adult and are measuring at the upper cut-off for the regular adult cuff? If that is the case then in theory it should be the right size cuff. And, be sure to check the measurements given for your specific cuff, not what the "norm" is for that size as they can have different ranges...mine did.

Trace protein is normal in pregnancy. Given your past history, it can be reason to order a 24 hr urine for a baseline value, though it isn't likely to be considered worrysome. Many doctors will wait to order a 24 hr untill you spill more on a dip.

I can comisserate with the headache! I've had mine for about 7 hours now and tylenol isn't doing much. Great fun! How much swelling are you having? Does it go away with rest and fluid intake? Have to ask. AND, how far along are you???

Yes...if you feel you are not being cared for appropriately by this doctor, by all means find another or get a second opinion.

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Postby pugmommy7 » Tue May 11, 2004 08:26 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Tue May 11, 2004 08:26 am

Uggghhhh, Bethany I am so sorry for all that, and the frustration you are feeling.
I truly feel like those who have never been there cannot understand.
Love, J

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Return to Pregnant Again?