35 weeks update and confused

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : 35 weeks update and confused

Postby trish » Thu Sep 21, 638609 7:23 am

My BP was regularly about 140/90 & just got higher throughout my pregnancy. And my last was a decent size even at 36 weeks. I had U/S every 4 weeks & then after about 30 weeks I was having every one other week. They did BPP's - an U/S where they are looking for baby to "pass" certain criteria like movement, practice breathing etc. They may be doing that without actually calling it a BPP but you may want to ask. I had NST's in the off week from BPP's. And you doing kick counts daily is a good idea too.

One *positive* thing for baby that I have heard about having high BP is that by being under stress in utero they develop a little faster & are stronger at birth even if they have to come early. Like they've had to "fight" to get what they need all along so they get stronger. I'm certainly not a Dr. & I don't have a study on that but it made me feel better when I heard it. But, if at 32 weeks they said baby was growing well then odds are baby is doing just fine.

stacylw

Postby stacylw » Thu Sep 21, 638609 6:32 am

Thanks for the info.
I've been followed closely by my doctor since 28 weeks when my BP first got high, and they've been checking for PE to develop since I had it with my first pregnancy (at 35 weeks).

Today, the doctor said that since the test was negative for PE (24 hour urine), they'll still just see me once a week like I've been doing. I had a NST today which they said was normal. My last U/S was at 32 weeks, and I have another one next week (last time they said the baby was growing well).

I guess I'm just worried about the complications (for the baby) from the higher BP's. Are weekly NST's and periodic U/S's enough to ensure things are going well with the baby?

As for the headaches- I remember the PE headache from my previous pregnancy. Unfortunately, tylenol never takes away my headaches (pregnant or not), so I haven't been able to use that as an evaluating tool. I just have called in to the doctor when I've had the headaches, and the one a couple days ago I waited out. They said if it didn't go away when I woke up the next day, that I should come into the hospital (and probably be admitted).

Thanks again for the help.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Sep 10, 638609 12:36 pm

Sorry - looked over your post for how many weeks you were before I asked. Then posted & saw you said 35 weeks in the title of the post. Duh! My bad! And I can't even blame it on preggo brain!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Sep 10, 638609 12:32 pm

Amber already covered a lot very well - I just wanted to add my 2 cents. If you take Tylenol do the headaches go away? Have you metioned the headaches to your OB? "The" PE headache is caused by swelling in your brain and does not have to go hand in hand with high BP. But, if Tylenol relieves the pain then it's probably just a normal pregnancy, or tension/sinus headache.

Have they mentioned extra monitoring of baby (NST's and/or U/S)? High BP can cause babies to be a little smaller & usually OBs just want to make sure all is well. How many weeks are you again?

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Sun Sep 10, 638609 8:54 am

Hi, 225 is not negative for protein in your urine. It is however negative for diagnosis of pre eclampsia. Normal range is considered 0-150. Anything above 150 is elevated. 300 is preeclamptic.

You can develop high blood pressure in pregnancy which is referred to as PIH- Pregnancy induced hypertension. This is when you have the high bp but not the protein in your urine. You can develop protein in your urine later though. PIH has its concerns as well and needs to be monitored closely.

Headaches can be common in pregnancy and related to hormones. Or they can result from high blood pressure. Or they can result from cerebral edema (head/facial swelling).

Perhaps your Dr.s are playing it cool so as not to get you worried... ask them very direct questions. The best approach is to be direct, and let them know that you will find more comfort in knowing the possibilities and being informed verses living in la la land. lol. Which so many of the times they think is best. Ha!

In your shoes I would probably request another 24 hour urine test in one week to observe any changes/progression. Also, go to the signs and symptoms page here and become familiar with those. Be sure to mention ALL your signs and symptoms at each Dr appointment. Also it is helpful to take a notepad with any questions and all your symptoms so you don't forget something.

Are you keeping a BP log of the pressures you get at home? This can be helpful for your docs to show them trends and spikes in your bps. Take the log with you to each appointment.

stacylw

35 weeks update and confused

Postby stacylw » Sun Sep 10, 638609 1:18 am

So, I turned in my 24 hour urine test this morning. I just found out (from the nurse) that it was negative (225mg). Of course, I'm so happy about this. But, now a bit more confused.

My BP had been stable (highest 148/70s) for the past 7 weeks, until a few days ago. Suddenly, it decided to jump up into the 150's/70's. The preliminary urine test was positive for protein, and I had such a bad headache all day yesterday.
And yet, the 24 hour test was negative today?
So, I don't understand what's going on here.

What do the headaches mean if you don't have protein (therefore, technically, no PE)? Are they as worrisome, or different?

I feel like the doctors don't know either, and that makes me nervous. I'm also worried about how the higher BPs effect the baby.
Does anyone know more about this?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”