blood pressure question

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

blood pressure question

Postby kazbro » Fri May 21, 2004 07:10 am

hi everyone, i`ve just got back from my 24 week check up and am a bit confused. my doctor was a little concerened as my BP was 167/85.. i have had PE before but i was always told that it was the bottom number that matterd.
my doc said he was concerned with both top and bottom he said the botom was raised enough to cause concern but was more worried abut the 167 number and he said my pulse was racing.
i am to rest as much as i can and keep my feet up as i have swelling.
i am due a visit by my midwife on monday and if its still the same he said she may well ask me to go into hospital again.
i dont understand what the top number means and if it is at a dangerous level ie:167
could anyone give me some advice
luv kaz x
24 weeks today

kaz 38
sons:
jamie 1991 35w/hip
antony 1993 36w/pe
karl 1995 36w/pe
dean 1997 37w
baby due 10th sept 2004
6 angel babies sleeping
kazbro

Re : blood pressure question

Postby sonja » Fri May 21, 2004 07:55 am

I think that both numbers are important, although I have always heard that doctors are more concerned with the bottom number because the top number could be effected by things such as stress and diet more. I think that your OB is being very careful with you which is great, your bp's should be at their lowest right now in your second trimester, so that is probably a cause for concern as well. Also, whether your numbers are at a dangerous level depends on part as to what they started at - there has to be a rise of 30 on the top and 15 on the bottom, or the old standby of 150/90 (I believe) is what they sometimes also go by in classifying pre-e. Take care of yourself - we can be sausage feet buddies - that is what I always think mine look like.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby twolfgram » Fri May 21, 2004 08:12 am

I had the opposite happen at my last appt. My BP was 128/88. I thought it was a little high, but neither the dr nor the nurse said anything about it. Oh well, we'll have to see!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby kennedyrain » Fri May 21, 2004 02:05 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with Pre-e so much, but I read on the American Heart Assoc. site a while back that the numbers being too far apart (IE 170/70 or etc) and the top number being the one that was high were indicative in diagnosing people with predisposition for stroke. I just thought it was interesting, though I know that the top number is affected by stress, etc as the pp has said.

Kristie
DS 3/19/95 PIH, Bedrest, Born on Due date healthy
EDD 9/25/04
kennedyrain

Postby akemt » Fri May 21, 2004 03:15 pm

The cutoff is 140/90...167 is definately high and the 85 is getting close, especially if you started out fairly low. Anything around an 80 and I get headaches. I beleive the 167 is up towards severe range and so they should definately be watching you more closely. Yes the top number can be affected by stress and anxiety moreso than the bottom number and that may be partly why you have been sent home with orders to rest and relax with a BP check soon. If rest and relaxation doesn't bring it down, I feel it is right of your doctor to admit you for further monitoring or to start medication (not a dr here).

Let us know how things go. Are you taking your bp yourself? Best wishes that the rest helps tons!

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004 PIH
akemt

Postby kazbro » Sat May 22, 2004 02:05 am

thx ladies, just needed to let it all out. i am focusing on thumper staying in my belly to a safe delivery date and if that means staying of my feet for the next 16 weeks so be it. i`m pretty sure if the doc was seriously concerned i`d be in hospital now, i have regular checks every week so i`m closely monitored and i`m due to see my consultant at 28 weks so he will decide what to do for me. as long as my BP and swelling stay at a managable rate i think i`ll cope o.k and anyway i have all you wonderful ladies to chat to when it gets tough.
i think it`s amazing that i`ve even got this far after 6 losses so i am doing what i`m told and behaving "LOL"
I`ll be on here again soon, take care everyone
luv kaz xx

kaz 38
sons:
jamie 1991 35w/hip
antony 1993 36w/pe
karl 1995 36w/pe
dean 1997 37w
baby due 10th sept 2004
6 angel babies sleeping
kazbro

Return to Pregnant Again?