29+4 week appt.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
coachswife14

Re : 29+4 week appt.

Postby coachswife14 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks to all of you. I'm so sorry if I sounded like a whiner. I think I'm always just "waiting for the other shoe to drop" so to speak. This whole semi-normal pregnancy thing is hard to get used to when you are so used to the alternative!

Thanks for the encouragement, and after sleeping on it last night, I feel much better this morning. I mean hey, maybe I'll finally have an actual contraction. :)

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed May 27, 2009 09:22 am

quote:Originally posted by susheli

I guess, as Catherine says, these are just schedules based on now and we don't really know how things will turn out, only that it is wonderful that all is well for now. Hope you can truly enjoy being off work and being pregnant!

I know that it's hard and I do understand as well. I guess that when we have had things happen our assumption is that they always happen again (I know that mine is!) so why risk it? That said, having a natural, vaginal delivery does have so many positives. It's unfortunate that PE robs us of the 'normalcy' of pregnancy and delivery isn't it?

Having a great doctor who, if need be, is proactive is a great place to be - having him want to take a cautious route if things are going swimmingly is also a great place to be as well.

You're in the home stretch now - congratulations on having a terrific pregnancy thus far!

susheli

Postby susheli » Wed May 27, 2009 08:52 am

Hi Kristin,

I understand your feelings! I'm in a very similar situation, my MFM told me on Monday that her plan is to let me go on until I go into labor naturally. (I live in France where they don't do scheduled sections unless absolutely necessary.) Because I had severe PE with my first DD and she was born at 34weeks, I never even thought we'd be talking a late-term delivery. I'm due August 30th and have felt certain the latests I'd go would be August 9th (37 weeks); of course I am SO pleased that everything is going so well in this pregnancy (bp stable unmedicated, no protein so far), but it's very hard for me to adjust to a possibly "normal" schedule. And, like you, my huge fear is that leaving things so long may be asking for trouble. I'd much rather deliver at 37 weeks healthy than at 40 weeks on mag with PE!!!!!

I guess, as Catherine says, these are just schedules based on now and we don't really know how things will turn out, only that it is wonderful that all is well for now. Hope you can truly enjoy being off work and being pregnant!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue May 26, 2009 11:17 pm

Kristin, don't forget, they'll schedule.... but it doesn't mean that once the date is selected that it's the final word. That's a scheduled date assuming that there have been no indications that suggest that an earlier delivery isn't more appropriate. In reality, it's the date that tells you exactly how long this pregnancy can last... not if it will KWIM? Assuming that you are doing well and experience no worrying signs of advancing disease, then there's no official reason to step off the bus and thus the selected date is close but not beyond your EDD.

Last time around I had a long conversation with my MFM about when to deliver my baby (gender surprise) at a visit that my DH attended also. He had not been expecting a plan that was "at least 38 weeks assuming you're both fine for a scheduled section", with a bit of "what if I go into labor on my own... vaginal maybe???" on my part. He was appalled and freaking out and grumped all the way out the door, very disappointed to discover that we were going to have to wait at least another 3 weeks.

Not so much, my water broke the next evening.......

coachswife14

Postby coachswife14 » Tue May 26, 2009 08:23 pm

It's a different doc. We moved to the DFW area a few years ago so I'm starting over with a new doctor.

I am just concerned that waiting that long is asking for trouble. However, I'll just stay positive until I have things to worry about I guess.

I'm a teacher and I'm done with work next Friday so nothing left to do except be pregnant this summer.

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Tue May 26, 2009 07:21 pm

I can understand your disappointment. Is this the same OB you saw with your older two?

I hope that the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful.

coachswife14

29+4 week appt.

Postby coachswife14 » Tue May 26, 2009 07:16 pm

So, I had my appointment today. It was really rushed, which I hate, because my doc had to head upstairs for a c-section.

I asked when we would schedule my section and she says August 3rd. Yikes....I'll be 39+3. I can't even wrap my brain around that. I made it 34 weeks with Syd and 36 with Alex. I've had only a couple BP spikes, and other than feeling really tired and having nausea daily things have been okayish.

I just feel a little bummed about waiting that long. Isn't that weird? I don't want him to come too early, but certainly wasn't thinking I was going to go that long.

Anyway, thanks for letting me complain lol...

I guess I'm just most concerned of things going wrong in the end instead of avoiding them by being proactive.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”