Pre-Eclampsia with second pregnancy??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pre-Eclampsia with second pregnancy??

Postby staceyc » Fri May 21, 2004 06:28 pm

Hello,
I am just asking for everyone's opinion. My husband and I are contemplating have a second child, my first pregnancy was traumatic. My son was born at 30 weeks weight 3Ib 3oz. I was hospitalized 3 times before delivering my son. My last admittance to the hospital as a 5 day stay...they had tried to control the PE but couldnt..I was on a Magnesium drip 500 g of BP Meds..and no sodium diet...and my bp had risen to 210/110 and in 5 days gianed 13 pounds, they delivered my son via c-section. Te PE was so erratic...and the bp was spiking. At this point the Peri-natologist we were seeing has said that if we did decide to become pregnant again by te en of the second trimesterI would have to be on bedrest and from day one I would be on BP meds. Can anyone offer advice or pst experiences? Please feel free to emil me: mommaj728@aol.com
staceyc

Re : Pre-Eclampsia with second pregnancy??

Postby mintmommy » Fri May 21, 2004 07:09 pm

Hi StaceyC and welcome!

Here is a little bit about my story:

I was diagnosed with mild preeclampsia at about 32 weeks.
My first baby boy was born at 35 1/2 weeks due to preeclampsia.

When my son was about 7 weeks old, Lord and behold, I became pregnant again and the news was nerve recking! I had mixed emotions, but I was mainly concerned with getting Pre-E again.

Anyways, I decided to take it easy (i.e., no work, lots of bedrest, and changed my diet a little bit). Not that I knew that this was the solution for preventing pre-e, however, it made me feel good to know that I was doing something to help "prevent" pre-e. Fortunately and unfortunately, I have learned that women who are athletes to women who are "couch potatoes" have experienced pre-e. Bottomline, diet is not really the solution. There are theories that it is a combination of getting plenty of bedrest, good diet, etc.. which "might help" in having a better pregnancy . . .

However, even though you had pre-e with your first baby, it is not possible to predict if you will definitely get it again, not at all, or worst.

My advice to you is to do the best you can. Try for a second one but be extremely easy on yourself before and during your pregnancy. That might help. I have met many women in these forums who I admire because of their courage to want to try again. The truth is that anything can happen (i.e., other complications). If you want a second child, have faith and try for second child. God is with you.

Good luck!

Arminda (27 yrs. old)
DH - Alfredo III (31 yrs. old)
Babies:
Fredo born 10/25/03 at 35 1/2 weeks - PE 4 lbs. 1 ounce his weight now (as of 5/11/04 is 16 lbs. and 8 ounces.
Pregnant again EDD - 9/19/04 Its a girl according to the chinese lunar calendar . . .we will see how true it is . . .Update! ITS A(nother) BOY!!
mintmommy

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri May 21, 2004 07:37 pm

Like Erin told me when I first got here,
The very fact that you have had it in the first place puts you at risk.
But...here I am @35.1 wks!! W/#2.
That is 2.1 weeks further a long than last time.
I do have trace protieninuria from time to time, and have high b/p, but under control w/ bedrest at the moment.
(Also Gestational diabetes, but that is it's own deal)

For me, it has been "less and later".

I would definately have a preconcetion consult w./ a Dr. you trust (high risk).

I was "surprised" w/ this pregnancy, so that wasn't an option.

Good luck.
Love,J

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Catalina Amelia,DD 6/24/04-could be here anytime now.
pugmommy7

Postby staceyc » Sat May 22, 2004 05:12 am

Thank You Everyone.

My high risk Dr has advised me that the likelihood is between 20-30% that it will happen again. Also he has advised me that I will have to be on complete bed rest by the end of the second trimester and have to regularly see him as well as my ob/gyn from the onset. With my first baby (Jayson) I had tremendous guilt thinkign it was something I did..but he had assured me that nothing I had done or weight ...had caused this and that it was a bodily reaction to the pregnanacy. My ob/gyn also advises me to complete having any children by the age of 30 because my chances of a repete PE pregnancy becomes very likely.(Currently I am 25 years old) Just going through this again would be very hard...and even though I can talk to people with it..no one can ever really know how it is until you go through it.
staceyc

Postby pugmommy7 » Sat May 22, 2004 06:57 am

"no one can ever really know how it is until you go through it."

Amen to that!
Love, J

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.
Catalina Amelia,DD 6/24/04-could be here anytime now.
pugmommy7

Postby iansmom » Sat May 22, 2004 10:19 am

It is a very hard decision, but here I am at 32w 3d - that is 6w 3d longer than I made it with Ian!! I have not worked since december and I am on massive meds. Ian was delivered less than 2 hours after I arrived at the ER with bp of 260/150 (nobody would ever tell me how high it really got). the magnesium didn't do the trick then, so there were no options. My husband was told that he would have found me dead in bed the next morning had I not gone to the ER! Talk about scary. We decided NO MORE! But, I did alot of research and found a good doctor and realized that we could try. Nobody knows what the outcome will be, but in many cases it is much better. I am living proof - so far so good.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby mintmommy » Sat May 22, 2004 11:04 am

What I went through helped me in becoming a better person and I learned to cherish life. I thought I knew how to cherish life already, before Pre-E happened to me. I was wrong. I guess that we can never cherish life enough . . .

My second was a surprise, so all I can do for now and have been doing all along is to have faith and that although I can face a tough experience, I know that everything and anything that happens is out of my control. Same with you or with any other women looking to get pregnant or who might already be pregnant.

Good Luck and feel free to vent here with us whenever.
After all, we all share one thing for sure. And that is the thought of "no one can ever really know how it is until you go through it."

XOXO

Arminda (27 yrs. old)
DH - Alfredo III (31 yrs. old)
Babies:
Fredo born 10/25/03 at 35 1/2 weeks - PE 4 lbs. 1 ounce his weight now (as of 5/11/04 is 16 lbs. and 8 ounces.
Pregnant again EDD - 9/19/04 Its a girl according to the chinese lunar calendar . . .we will see how true it is . . .Update! ITS A(nother) BOY!!
mintmommy

Postby haleysmom » Sat May 22, 2004 05:29 pm

Hey Guys,
I am new to this forum. I have been over on the preemie forum and found you recently. My first daughter was born at 27 weeks, 5 days and weighed 1 lb. 7 oz. She is now 6 months old (8 lbs 8 oz), (3 months adjusted) and I just found out today that I am pregnant again (not a planned one obviously). My husband and I are very scared and are looking to you all for support. Having lived through this preeclampsia experience, I know you can relate to my feelings. I look forward to all your advice. thanks Jen
haleysmom

Postby mada » Sat May 22, 2004 05:59 pm

Hi jen, Welcome to the forum!!! I am glad you found us and I am also glad that your little girl is doing well! So, similarly to you, I got preggers with my 2cnd when my first was 7 mo.'s...also not planned. I was terrified!! The good news is I stayed pre-e free with my second. The best thing I think to do is to seek out a perinatologist if you don't have one already. It would be good to have a consult and a game plan. The other good thing is you are seeking out support and know of the signs and symptoms this time around..that's half the battle. Congrats on your pregnancy and let us know how things progress!! Look forward to hearing from ya!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby haleysmom » Sat May 22, 2004 07:04 pm

Thanks Mada for the support!! I do have a wonderful perinatologist who I worked with for my last PG. I does bring a smile to my face to hear that you didn't have PE again with your second, but also a little scary. I don't know anything BUT raising a preemie. I am so grateful to have this site so I can become more educated about PE. I have been SO focused on the whole preemie issues, that I have done little is this area. I look forward to getting to know you guys!
haleysmom

Return to Pregnant Again?