How to get a good night's sleep on bed rest?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
aundapenner

Re : How to get a good night's sleep on bed rest?

Postby aundapenner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 03:25 pm

For me, the hardest part of sleeping at night was that my mind would go round and round with all the what ifs and so forth. It helped me to blog and to make lists. I drove DH nuts doing both those things! :)

I also organized and reorganized baby clothing - it was something I could do sitting down and "resting" that made me feel like I was doing something. (Whereas with Henry, I didn't get a chance to do any of those things.)

I agree about not sleeping too much during the day ... facebook is a good bedrest addiction. ;)

saving_grace

Postby saving_grace » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 am

Sunshine helps set our internal clocks so try to get some sun in the mornings/afternoons even if its just for a few minutes. I would avoid continual use of Tylenol since its hard on the liver (my brother is a liver transplant recipient so we've been warned about Tylenol use). But the other sleeping aids without Tylenol are fine. Oddly enough, I didn't have too much trouble sleeping while on bedrest even with short naps throughout the day. Maybe I was doing some catching up on some much needed sleep lost throughout the years due to my son's bad sleeping habits. LOL Hang in there!! Sleeping problems are miserable!

susheli

Postby susheli » Fri Jun 19, 2009 04:28 am

Thank you for all your kind answers and suggestions. It means so much to feel less alone, and I was thinking about just that when I was awake again at 5am this morning ... but overall I slept better, I tried stretching my legs and arms before bedtime and airing the room. I also made sure to stay out of the blankets and dressed during the day, all day, and in the blankets only at night, and I think that helped a bit too. I'll definitely ask my doctor about sleeping aids when I see her next.
Thank you!!!

imemc3

Postby imemc3 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 06:31 pm

I try to stay on a sleep schedule and wake up the same time every morning. I wake up very hungry so I do not sleep in anyway. I take Tylenol PM and this help a lot. My thoughts are with you and I hope you are able to sleep better.

Elaine

julieb

Postby julieb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 03:54 pm

There were a couple of things that seemed to help me sleep a little better when I was on bedrest. First, I did not let myself take naps and I made sure I was on the couch by 10am instead of sleeping away the day. Before bed I would do some stretches to help work out the achiness that laying around all day can cause. I would do a few lunges and squats to help my legs feel better and it helped to relax me before bed. I didn't do anything strenuous at all and I never really got my heartrate up, just mild stretches. I still had my fair share of trouble sleeping but I did at least manage to get some sleep every night and stay on a semi-normal sleeping schedule. I hope you find something that works for you!

shierman

Postby shierman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 03:45 pm

I wish I had some good advice for you, but I really don't. I just wanted to say I hope that one of the ideas the other ladies threw out there works and that you're able to sleep better.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 03:10 pm

They gave me ambien when I was on hospital bedrest.

mada

Postby mada » Thu Jun 18, 2009 01:40 pm

I really have no words of wisdom for you...I just know how you feel and it's lousy. I am sorry you are having trouble.....Sometimes just sitting outside for a while getting fresh air throughout the day helps. Hugs!!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Thu Jun 18, 2009 01:32 pm

Oh - Unisom and Ambien are safe to take during pregnancy as well.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 am

You would certainly have to ask your own OB about it but my OB suggested Tylenol PM to help me sleep while I was pregnant. She said it was safe & I took it nearly every night for several months. From nearly the minute I am pregnant I start having to get up pee 3-4 times a night and it just gets worse from there. So the PM's were to help me sleep a *bit* more soundly & not wake up quite as much to pee.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”