How to get a good night's sleep on bed rest?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
hols537

Re : How to get a good night's sleep on bed rest?

Postby hols537 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:41 am

When I was on bedrest in the hospital, the doctors left standing orders for a prescription sleeping pill. I also took Benadryl occassionally to help me fall asleep (didn't help with staying asleep though). If you're having a lot of trouble, you could ask your OB about either of those options.

If you're allowed, a warm bath before you want to go to sleep might help.

I found sleeping really difficult when I was on bedrest and at the end of both pregnancies. Good luck getting whatever rest you can!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 am

Ugh, this was hard for me too. My BPs spiked when I slept (possible sleep apnea), so I was afraid of what would happen if I slept!

I didn't try this, but maybe you could use some relaxation/meditation CDs to help? Good luck. You are in my thoughts!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:37 am

Sleeping while on bedrest (and even just in general during pregnancy) is difficult! I wish that I had some words of wisdom but I also had a broken sleep pattern during my bedrest.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 am

I wish that I had some advice for you, but I don't - hopefully someone with more experience with redrest sleeping will jump on here and help you out.

Boring movies always do it for me, but if that is all you have been doing all day it probably doesn't help.

Take care.

susheli

How to get a good night's sleep on bed rest?

Postby susheli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 09:54 am

Oh dear, I forgot how hard it is to sleep at night when you've been lying all day, and that's not even counting a mind full of thoughts/emotions/worries and a bump you can't get comfortable with!!

Last night I was up till midnight, awake again around 2am and 3:30am and then wide awake at 5pm, watching the sun rise. I'm trying to stay calm, but am worried this kind of fitful sleep may negatively effect my bps.

Apart from milk and mild (safe) herbal teas, can I try anything else to help me sleep?
Thanks!!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”