Too cautious?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
susheli

Re : Too cautious?

Postby susheli » Sun Aug 18, 638616 7:31 am

I agree with everyone else. Bed rest has made such a difference to me so far, and every day counts. I'm glad lying on the couch is helping you too! It's not always easy, but at least at modified bed rest you can get out a bit, and lying in the garden in the summer doesn't sound so bad... Your OB sounds great - I wish mine had been more pro-active sooner.
Take care!!

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Aug 18, 638616 5:20 am

I think with those of us with PE histories, the docs don't want to take any chances. I see a doctor once a week, whether it's the OB, MFM, or cardiologist. I feel like an old lady! But I would rather have them be cautious than not. Good luck to you!

kiwi_susie

Postby kiwi_susie » Sat Aug 17, 638616 9:57 am

Ditto ditto ditto!

I cut down to 4 day weeks at about 19wks, and finished work completely at 27wks.

The most important job we can do right now is keep em cooking as long as we can :)

imemc3

Postby imemc3 » Wed Aug 07, 638616 10:47 am

I am right with you. I had issues for week ago and now on bedrest. Everything is going great now. The bedrest really helps. My husband check my bp in the morning and and the evening though. We are now at 31 weeks. Bedrest is the key and the doctor says at each appointment the rest is what has gotten us this far. I love my doctors they are very proactive.

Elaine

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Aug 07, 638616 2:23 am

I like your OB :-)

I know that my OB put me on modified bedrest the moment that I was put on bp meds - I had to lay on my left side for a several hour chunk once a day - the thinking is that laying on your left side is the best way to get optimum nutrients to your baby. (The bp meds that I was on were shown to produce smaller babies in some women - but then again so is high bp in pregnancy.)

Have a great day.

lola1971

Postby lola1971 » Tue Aug 06, 638616 11:57 pm

I don't think it's too cautious for gals like us. When I was 22 weeks my peri team either said I had to work from home or modified bedrest, period. They were ready to do my state disability paperwork. My bp was creeping up and I was showing some protein in urine (below the pe levels but still there).

Since my job is virtual, my work and managers were perfectly happy having me work from home for as long as possible. My peri team didn't care so much that I worked per se, but that I kept my physical level low. My daily commute was not helping me.

That being said, I've been working from home for about 2 weeks and I have noticied that my energy level is better, my swelling is better (from not being so physical) and my bp is stable. I just think this is the path for gals like us. Hang in there!

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Tue Aug 06, 638616 11:43 pm

I don't think you can be too cautious. I was put on partial bedrest at 14w5d. I'm on bedrest full time since 21 weeks and totally off work and being seen once a week with ultrasounds every 4 weeks and 24 hour urine and blood work every two weeks. I even have a standing order that if I feel off I can do a 24 hour urine and have blood work done at my own discretion. My labetolol is maxed out at 2400 MG, it's never worked great for me, but last week baby and I were fine and the doctors are hopeful I'll make it to 36 weeks. I just look at it like I'd rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough!

shierman

Too cautious?

Postby shierman » Tue Aug 06, 638616 10:47 pm

I had my bi-monthly appointment Wednesday and everything seemed to look good. They checked the baby, umbilical cord, placenta with the results being a baby in the 78th% on size and good blood flow. But, the doctor upped my Labetalol to 200mg 2x/day, as my BP was starting to creep, AND put me on modified bedrest. DH and I were really surprised by this. My BP was still under control (but still going up), I had 300 on my last 24hr, and pitting edema. Still, the doctor only referenced that he wanted to be cautious moving forward and that he hoped cutting back on work would help.

I'm OK with not working full-time and my first day on the couch really seemed to help my BP, swelling, and overall energy. I appreciate that MFM is being cautious but I can't help but wonder if we're being too cautious?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”