V.B.A.C.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

V.B.A.C.

Postby staceyc » Mon May 24, 2004 07:25 pm

Can anyone shed some light on Vaginal Birth After C-Section. With Jayson I had a semi-emergency c-section so there was very little choice of whic hwasy I could deliver. I am thinking once I do becme pregnant again..I would like to deliver via c-section. I have heard conficting reports tha some Dr's frown upon vaginal birth afte c-section and some dont? Can you share your experience
staceyc

Re : V.B.A.C.

Postby laura » Mon May 24, 2004 07:37 pm

I think that a lot of it depends on your personal circumstance- what kind of incision you had, whether or not you've had a vaginal delivery before, etc.

I personally would have done VBAC if I had been able to go into labor spontaneously (she says after the fact [;)]). But, because I had hypertension in my second pregnancy, too, there was no way I was going to make it to my due date without an induction. VBAC is far, far riskier if you are induced- the prostiglandins increase your risk of rupture- so VBAC ended up not being an option for me.

From what I understand, the 'default' delivery after a section is another section- if you want a VBAC, you must choose to have it. And I'd say yep- VBAC is definitely something you'd want to be on the same page as your doc on.

I do have to confess, though, that the second section was SOOOOOOOO much easier and less painful than the first- it was like a night and day difference. I was so pleasantly surprised at how quickly I recovered from it.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby staceyc » Mon May 24, 2004 07:43 pm

Iagree. I actually want a c-section again, I think the recovery with a c-secton may be easier having done it with my son the first time around and I dont want the risk involved in it.(hemorraghing etc.) With my first one my perinatologist said I could try Vaginal Borth but because I was only 30 weeks there was a good chance ha my son could notlabor through a vaginal delivery and that my BP would spoke again.

Jayson- born July 2000 30 weeks due to PE...3Ib 3 ounces 7/00

Stacey - 25 yrs old
Chuck - 27 yrs old
staceyc

Postby julie f » Mon May 24, 2004 07:45 pm

Hey Stacey,

I also had a C-section and doubt I had much choice in the matter, although I honestly don't think I ever asked... I always dreamed of the dramatic scene where I'd be sitting at home holding my belly telling my husband, "It's time..." and we'd laugh and kiss and drive off into the sunset to have our little baby... (vaginally but with lots of drugs...[;)])

Anyway... getting to my point... I talked with my doctor about this before we started TTC again and she said that it's really a bit premature to discuss, if I have a "textbook" pregnancy and I'm 37++ weeks w/no problems then, maybe... If I have issues then, we'll do what the situation dictates...

Personally, I think I will feel more comfortable with a repeat C. I've just turned way too much into a control freak to be comfortable with nature taking it's course... I just don't much trust my body anymore to be honest with you. Cynical I know and, I hope my *sunny* disposition relaxes a bit when I actually do become pregnant but, we'll see.[8D]

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby angelkat » Mon May 24, 2004 07:52 pm

Since I had a Classic C sec I have no choice but to have another c-sec this time. In a way, I am very happy about that because I get to avoid all the labor pains (sorry ladies labor pains HURT) and another thing we get to pick the birthday (as long as things are still going good then!)

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby josiah1112 » Mon May 24, 2004 07:57 pm

Just like T, I also had a classical C-section when my
son was born. I was told from the get go- C-section
for you in a future birth only!
Laura, it's nice to hear that the second time around can
heal quicker than the first time!

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Postby laura » Mon May 24, 2004 08:56 pm

Gloria- I didn't have to do the mag second time around- we delivered before I got too bad. So, within 12 hours, I'm walking- by 24 hours post section I was doing laps around the ward to get things moving so I could go home! I had Camille on a Thursday afternoon- I was home by Saturday afternoon- getting ready for the Easter Bunny. I was like- is this it? I'm having ten more [:P]

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jenn122 » Mon May 24, 2004 10:19 pm

I was so hoping for a VBAC this time, but it isnt looking good. My doctor said if my pressures stay under control they will let me go until 39.5 weeks before doing a repeat c-section but if I decide they will go ahead and do one at 38 wks. I doubt they will remain low long enough for labor to start on its own and I wouldnt risk an induction.

Jennifer

Alayna June 27, 2001
born at 36wks due to severe preeclampsia

EDD #2 August 4, 2004
http://www.geocities.com/alaynarosetta
jenn122

Postby tahoe4 » Tue May 25, 2004 06:42 am

I had an emergency c-section first time with a horizontal incision. With this pregnancy I specifically asked for another c-section and I could tell my dr was glad about that. She said a VBAC is possible if there were no problems, but I would definitely choose c-section over the labor pains any day. I know, I'm very wimpy!

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks
tahoe4

Postby sonja » Tue May 25, 2004 07:53 am

I did not have a c-section with my dd, but I was talking to my peri the other day about a few friends of mine who are having a hard time finding OB's in their county who would even let them try a VBAC, I blamed it on the insurance problem for OB's in my state to which he replied, "No, its actually called dead babies." Kind of harsh wording, but he went on to explain that the University of Washington where he works had published the research on VBACs and he thought that repeat c-sections was the way to go. That being said I think that it really depends on the type of c-section that you had with your first and your OB's support. Good luck to you.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?