V.B.A.C.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re : V.B.A.C.

Postby iansmom » Tue May 25, 2004 07:57 am

Julie, i am curious about your internal incision. Is it vertical or horizontal? Like the others who delivered very early, I have a vertical incision (internal). I was told that it had to be that way b/c at 26 weeks, the uterus was too small to get the baby out the other way. Obviously, he could have just meant my uterus and not others. Just curious. I am not looking forward to surgery, but I am not upset that I have no choice, either. Happy & Healthy - that is all I want.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby twolfgram » Tue May 25, 2004 08:22 am

I can see I'm of a dissenting opinion here. I had an emergency C-section with my first and when they went to deliver Erik, my dr recommended a VBAC as its easier on Mom than the section. The VBAC was MUCH easier on me than the section. I wasn't sore, didn't have that incision to worry about!! If I can, I'm going the VBAC route again. I could barely move after my section and was home the next day after delivering Erik, with no pain!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby julie f » Tue May 25, 2004 10:03 am

IansMom,

Both my insicions are horizontal. I had to ask my doctor to check because like you, everyone I've talked to that has delivered so early that I've spoken to, has had vertical incisions on the inside. I'll have to ask if there was a reason she did it horizontally vs. vertically next time I see her.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby jenny5 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:51 am

Hi, I had a vaginal birth the first time and an emergency c-section the second. I am going vbac this time (fingers crossed). The c-section was MUCH worse for me than the vaginal birth. The vaginal hurt, but it was pain you could deal with (plus there are all kinds of pain meds out there). And after, I was walking within an hour and took a shower before I went to bed. The section hurt forever and kept me from being able to do normal things with my toddler (not to mention how much the contractions that go along with breastfeeding hurt!!). The surgeon who did the section actually told me I should have no problem with a vbac (they were common where we used to live). Here in Kansas, no hospital close by will do one due to the limitations the insurance places on them. That is why I chose to give birth at a birth center. I would be very interested in seeing the study that claimed vbacs were dangerous for the fetus, as in all my research on the subject I have never come across that. In fact most of the literature claims it is as safe as a section with less post partum problems. Most concern lies with the mother and even then statistically it is just as safe (if you have the correct incision and are not induced). If you have never experienced a vaginal birth the thought is extremely scary, but remember (barring all the complications many people here have) your body was designed to do it!

Jenny (who is hoping for a vbac, but chose a birth center across the street from the hospital just in case!)
[:p]

mom to Jake (8-28-98)
and Lucy (6-3-00) born 34 weeks due to severe pree
Baby Sam due 9/20/04
jenny5

Postby laura » Tue May 25, 2004 01:22 pm

someone asked this question in Experts:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163

I think it's hard to find pro repeat section information on the net- the studies support it, but there are no roving band of docs who will set up a website that says "support network for repeat sections" -you too can have your repeat! [:)] I don't think a 1% chance of rupture is small- that's one out of 100 women who will have uterus that gives way while they labor- about the same chances I had of having hyperemesis (I had) severe preeclampsia (I had) and slightly lower than having oligo severe enough to deliver from (I had)- every time I play the odds, I lose!

The other thought is that many of the pro VBAC sites compare morbidity (sickness, complications, etc.) of VBAC and section- which may not be fair. All complications are not equal- The uterine rupture you risk with a VBAC isn't comparable to the separated inscision I had or some of the infections that people get with sections.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?