Another L&D visit

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
milesymommy

Re : Another L&D visit

Postby milesymommy » Sat May 22, 638619 3:14 am

Sush,
I can only imagine! You would think that she'd be very careful with high risk patients and make sure before she went on vacation that you were comfortable with whomever was taking over care!
The mid wives and doctors during my first pregnancy never put me on bedrest, and always took the lying down pressure. Uhhh... if I'm not on bedrest, how is a lying down BP an accurate picture on what my baby is experiencing 18 hrs a day? I was frustrated and they did not take my BP seriously.
I'm like you - I'd be more comfortable in a hospital knowing I was being monitored and they could get baby out immediately if I went down hill fast.
Let us know how the 24 hr turns out! <<<Hugs>>>

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Sat May 22, 638619 2:35 am

You poor thing! BIG HUGS! I'm so glad that you have such a positive attitude, and that you're on top of things :) I hope your tests come back with results that make more sense! You're doing great :)

susheli

Postby susheli » Fri May 21, 638619 1:15 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughts and understanding, and Sabrina, for taking the time to share your experience. Wow, yes, I think it is cultural, and my French DH reminds me that I'm here now and need to accept how they treat PE here. But still... what I answer then is that we're still all humans and our bodies function in the same way whether we're in France, the UK or the US, so it would make sense for the care we receive to be equivalent? Right?!

I know I must continue to be Helena's and my very best advocate and it IS doing me good to learn to become more assertive - even though it is frustrating to have to push myself when I am already exhausted and worried... Yesterday at L&D I insisted on doing another "longer version" 24h urine test, using my full collection, to be able to compare to the questionable test from last week which may or may not be correct (1.1g). We're going to use a different lab this time. I need to know and trust for 100% certain that the results were either right or wrong. I'm very relieved that I will get those results tomorrow late afternoon.

Oh, and a four week vacation is not uncommon here in France - vacation time is so much longer than in the US. I don't begrudge my doctor her vacation - I'd never want to have to work her shifts, she seems to have no private life at all, poor woman (!!!) - I just wish she had told me and told me who would be taking over my care. But I guess that's not how state hospitals work in France ... hmpf.

Anyway, it's 14th of July, Bastille Day here, so all of France is celebrating the revolution ... liberty, equality and brotherhood ... beautiful sunshine out, and I'm trying to feel positive and am enjoying my baby's kicks and her big sister's kisses. :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue May 11, 638619 8:34 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, I was terrified when I was admitted. While my belgian ob was not the friendliest and I actually felt she was seriously negligent. She was all I had. I specifically requested to go home and pack a bag. She wanted me admitted immediately but reluctantly agreed to let me go home and come back. It was an hour each way. Plus I had to tell work I was not coming back for awhile (had left work that morning for the appt). Anyway, I asked her if she would be there to check me in at 3pm. She said yes. Guess what? She DISAPPEARED AND WENT ON VACATION. I came in and there was a midwife there to check me in. Not only that, I asked how long I would be in the hospital. She said I was there for observation and would be home on Monday (this was Wednesday afternoon). I already had a two day old baby by Monday! She did bother to come and see me when I threw a ped resident out of my room 9 days after being admitted and demanding to go home. I did not go back for my 6 week pp appt either and avoided obgyns like the plague for 5 years (my current ob still can't get over that and now is a stickler to make sure I come in for my annuals. His nurses literally will track me down if I even mention postponing that appt).

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue May 11, 638619 8:26 pm

Maybe it's a cultural thing??? I know when I lived in Belgium, protein and increase in bps started at 24 weeks. My military ob diagnosed me with pe. She went out of her way to MAKE me go on bedrest. She called occupational health and tried to have my job declared a hazzard against my health. She scolded me like no tomorrow (every day I have women coming in my office begging to be put off work. They don't need it. They are normal pregnant women. You. You need to be on your left side on bedrest. You won't do it. Now why not?). In my defense according to the belgian ob I had (no maternity services at the military hospital. So you saw a military ob with no privileges and a belgian ob. The military ob would check and make sure the belgian ob was doing everything that they were supposed to do.) there was nothing wrong with me. I had some protein and bp increase but she said I was ok. Being a military brat and now a military wife, well I was not very confident in the military docs. SO I ignored the military ob. She was the one that demanded that I be put on meds at 24 weeks. She sent me to L&D every week for a bp check and NST. It was common to do US at every ob appt. My ob appt schedule never changed. She had me follow the normal ob appt schedule. However, the military dr had me in her office every week, sometimes several times a week. She conveniently left my tail laying on an exam table on my left side for long periods of time in her office. Anyway, the military dr was spot on. I ended up developing severe pe and partial hellp syndrome. Had I have been given the 24 hour earlier, told what to look for by the belgian drs, etc, maybe it would not have been as bad as it was. It seemed that the belgian ob I had was very lax in my care where the military dr was all over it from the beginning.

Once I was admitted, I did get excellent care.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue May 11, 638619 12:24 pm

Goodness mama!! Hang in there! I can't believe your Dr. would just go on vacation without even mentioning it. Not like you hadn't seen him enough! (((HUGS)))

ud0r1234

Postby ud0r1234 » Tue May 11, 638619 8:47 am

I'd be so frustrated in your shoes. I agree w/ the others try to stay rested on your side. Hang in there Sush...

Dee

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue May 11, 638619 3:48 am

Oh my! I would be frustrated as well if I didn't know that my primary doc was going to be on vacay for four weeks - I think you have every reason to be frustrated and I also understand feeling like at least the hospital would be less stressful.

The only advice that I have is to monitor your kickcounts religiously and to keep on your left side as much as possible. Keep up the great work Sush - you are almost done - I'm proud of you!

lilliputianmama

Postby lilliputianmama » Tue May 11, 638619 3:43 am

Oh my goodness!! I would be frustrated, too. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

neslo

Postby neslo » Tue May 11, 638619 1:22 am

I'm so sorry! I can't beleive your DR is gone for 4 weeks! Do you know who will be following your case while she is away? Can you reuest to be put on meds? I can completely understand your desire to be in the hospital. I think I would feel the same way. All this stress can't be good for you. Sorry I don't have much to contribute. I have no clue how things work in France (or here for the most part...) - just here to listen and send you calm thoughts! I'll be thinking of you and your new little one.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”