Helena Rose is here - UPDATE with photos!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
hannahsmom

Re : Helena Rose is here - UPDATE with photos!

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 02:26 pm

Fantastic news. I am so glad that you and Miss Helena Rose are doing well :)

cheleandcallidora

Postby cheleandcallidora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 01:27 pm

Congrats! I am so happy for you. I am sorry that you had to get so sick and I hope you are feeling better soon! Enjoy all your time with baby and let us know how you are doing. I would also love to see some pics when you get a chance!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:14 am

Congratulations - enjoy your new little one.

coachswife14

Postby coachswife14 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:59 am

I am so glad to hear from you! I have been thinking of you so much and checking everyday for an update. I'm so sorry things took a turn for the worse, but I am ever thankful that you and baby Helena are ok.

Post some pics soon, ok? I would love to see your beautiful little girl!

jend01

Postby jend01 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:10 am

Congratulations! So sorry to hear that you got very sick again, I hope that you will get better soon. :)

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:03 am

Oh! Congrats to you and your hubby. Welcome baby Helena. I too am sorry to hear that you became very sick again. At the same time I am happy and proud that you advocated for yourself. Remember that you did the best you could in a difficult situation, that's all any of us can do.

And how wonderful about the breastfeeding. That is my dream scenario for #2!

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Thu Aug 27, 2009 08:55 am

Welcome, Helena Rose....what a beautiful name! I'm sorry to hear that you got so sick -- hoping that things start to get better for you soon!

denise

Postby denise » Thu Aug 27, 2009 08:34 am

Welcome to the world Helena! I'm sorry things got rough again, but happy the end result was good. Trusting ourselves is hard to do at times, but in situations like this it's imperative.

Congrats!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 08:16 am

Welcome Earthside, Helena!

And Sush, I'm so sorry you had to get so sick again. :-( Advocating for our care and the care of our babies is fraught, and I think you're right that trusting our intuitions and making the case on our on behalf is the only thing we can control.

Enjoy your daughter(s)!

susheli

Helena Rose is here - UPDATE with photos!

Postby susheli » Thu Aug 27, 2009 08:09 am

Dear all,
thank you for all your congratulations! I am beginning to feel myself again and my bps are finally stabilizing on meds. We are home now and Helena has gained back her birth weight. She nurses every 2 hours, so Mommy is exhausted but happy. I think I've managed to find a way to post some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 575bf216aa

I'm thinking of you all and reading updates, even if I'm not managing to repond yet,
xoxo Sush

Wow, it feels like a life-time has happened since I last posted here.
My beautiful baby girl, Helena Rose, was born by c-section on Friday, August 21st at 38 weeks, 6 days, weighing 5.5 pounds. She was delivered onto my chest and after just a quick check-up, stayed with me throughout recovery and nursed for over an hour. I can't put into words what this meant to this Mama, who had until then only known what it feels like for a preemie to be whisked away seconds after birth ...

Despite being tiny for her gest. age, Helena is strong and healthy and such a joy to us and her big sister Aurelia, who is adapting well.

PE-wise it's been tough again and a lot to digest, huge emotions of fear and sadness all mixed up with the joy, and though none of it matters when I look into little Helena's face, I know I can share here and be understood.

I did get very sick again, all of a sudden. In the days before the scheduled section (which was supposed to be the 23rd) my bps shot up despite larger doses of procardia. The section was moved forward when my proteins reached 3.2g, my bps wouldn't go under 150s/110s on meds and my liver bloods came back elevated. I went into surgery with bps of 170s/120s. And the days after were so scary as my bps wouldn't go down despite intravenous bps meds for four days. I'm still not stabilized, now on Labitalol to allow me to breastfeed, though my bps are in a safer 140s/100s range.

I can't help but think that if I had delivered just a bit earlier, I might have been spared this ordeal. I know I have to let go of this ... the new, smaller hospital were wonderful and I don't question their treatment. But I do think my original hospital let me go on for too long without meds and a delivery plan. The OB in the smaller hospital feels that Helena's low weight shows that my bps were too high for too long - which is exactly what I had been seeing on my home measurements.
I also wanted to share this to say to you all: always trust your intuitions and question where you have questions, no matter how reputed the doctor or hospital. I let myself be convinced against my own intuition and better judgment - and also the advice I got here - that all was okay when it probably wasn't for a while.

But despite all this, I know that all that really matters is that Helena is here safely and that I will be okay, though my OB told me today that she thinks I will probably be a chronic after this.
I could not have gotten through this pregnancy without all you wonderful women on these boards. Thank you from my heart for being there and reading my thoughts and sharing your stories. I will be staying here too, to continue to read and share in yours.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”