34 week appointment, new OB & NST

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
amanda
Forum Moderator

Re : 34 week appointment, new OB & NST

Postby amanda » Sun Aug 30, 2009 08:46 pm

Are you maybe a little dehydrated? I ask because sometimes when folks are dehydrated their ketones can get all wonky too.

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 07:03 pm

I also think a very low carb diet produces ketones... but you probably eat a lot of carbs.
It's weird how sometimes they don't mention things. I had a similiar situation - apparently I've been borderline anemic most of this pregnancy but no one told me until a couple weeks ago.

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Aug 28, 2009 01:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by brianned5

Ketone: A substance formed when the body breaks down fat. Uncontrolled diabetes, starvation, and sometimes alcohol use produces ketones in urine.

I never heard of Ketones until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. They said if I don't eat enough and my body goes into starvation mode I could spill Ketones in my urine. All they told me scared me some.

Compassion from our doctors sure makes a difference. That's one reason I switched MFM's early in this pregnancy. Good luck, you're so close!

I do not have GD and I have not had a sip of alcohol all pregnancy. I do eat, but somedays more than others. I would guess that I take in at least 1,500-2,000 calories per day and I end each day with a big, fat sundae. Should I be worried? My OB's office has never mentioned it, only the nurse at my NST.

cheleandcallidora

Postby cheleandcallidora » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 am

Congrats on the good NST! I am so glad you like your new Dr. It can be so hard to switch at the end of a pregnancy after you go through so much to find one you really like and trust. I hope things continue to go well.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 09:55 am

Ketone: A substance formed when the body breaks down fat. Uncontrolled diabetes, starvation, and sometimes alcohol use produces ketones in urine.

I never heard of Ketones until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. They said if I don't eat enough and my body goes into starvation mode I could spill Ketones in my urine. All they told me scared me some.

Compassion from our doctors sure makes a difference. That's one reason I switched MFM's early in this pregnancy. Good luck, you're so close!

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Fri Aug 28, 2009 09:01 am

No experience with ketones here, either, but I'm glad you had a positive appointment!

lisacarmel

Postby lisacarmel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Sorry I don't know anything about ketones but I wanted to say I'm glad you like your new OB. It's nice to have someone that is caring and compassionate. : )

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

34 week appointment, new OB & NST

Postby sheri-ct » Thu Aug 27, 2009 07:42 pm

My appointment went well. I really liked the new OB. I gave him a brief history of my many years of infertility and my pre-e pregnancy. I found myself getting a little emotional and my eyes were getting a little teary. I told him that I have been actively trying to build my family since early 2003 and I have been traumatized every step of the way. He was extremely compassionate. He said that my memories can not be erased and unfortunately there was little he could do to make my fears go away, but tried to reassure me that this pregnancy seems to be going a lot better. He wants to start seeing me weekly to keep a closer eye on my bp since I am starting to see some fluctuations. My urine is still negative, but for some reason that does not really give me a lot of comfort. I told him that I dipped +1 the day before I was delivered with severe pre-e. My c-section is scheduled for 9/25 (38w3d) and I am getting a funny feeling from the staff that my OB might not be back. I also had my NST today and that went really well. The only issue was ketones in my urine. They said there was a significant amount. Anyone know anything about that?

Sheri

Return to “Pregnant Again?”