Progesterone question (long- sorry)

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ladybug76135

Re : Progesterone question (long- sorry)

Postby ladybug76135 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks everyone for the words of advice. She is taking Prometrium vaginally twice a day. She sees the doc on Wednesday (so 5 days after she started it) and he will do the US and draw labs.

I will warn her about the possibility of light bleeding so she won't freak out further. She is a sweet, smart girl but doesn't ask a lot of questions from docs. When she started telling me about her losses and I ask her what they said the reason was she didn't know. I asked if they had ever referred her for blood work to investigate for a clotting issue or autoimmune issue and she said no. Even her RE had never done any of that! That was one of the reasons I pushed for her to change OBs. I know that mine will. He's very proactive about these things.

I will keep you posted on her progress.

cheleandcallidora

Postby cheleandcallidora » Sat Aug 29, 2009 09:25 am

I am a huge believer that I would not be pregnant right now with out the prometrium and other meds I am on. I lost my last two, one at 12.5 weeks and one at 4.5 weeks. I also had a lot of spotting with the prometrium in the beginning but I'm now 34 weeks. I also strongly recommend taking it vaginally or getting injections. With both of those you are getting the highest dose possible. You lose a lot of it when it is taken orally.

My Dr. didn't really believe in it either, he said it was not known if the low levels were a cause of the MC or if there was a problem causing the levels to be low. He said it couldn't hurt though and if it made me feel better I might as well take it. Other than taking the prometrium I don't think there is much else she can do to raise the levels. I will be thinking about her and baby. I really hope it works for her.

jend01

Postby jend01 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 08:22 am

I had an early MC at around 7 weeks the year before my son was borm. My OB put me on progesterone (oral), but it wasn't soon enough. When I got pregnant the next year she put me on progesterone (oral again)as soon as I called, without even checking my levels and I had a healthy baby boy a little early because of the PE, but healthy. My OB told, me that if we decide to get pregnant again we will do the same thing with the progesterone.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Robyn, I'm sorry your friend is going through this. She is very fortunate to have someone like you that is willing to help her. Regarding progesterone, an RE told me it is naturally secreted during early pregnancy according a schedule where levels rise and fall three times each day. Therefore, blood tests can sometimes seem misleading depending upon the time of day that they are taken.

Unfortunately other than taking supplementation I don't think there is much else she can do at this point. Is she taking the prometrium orally or vaginally? If she is taking it orally, she can ask for more blood work after 2 days (I wouldn't wait a week) to make sure her progesterone is rising and adjust the dose if it isn't. If she is taking it vaginally, it won't show up in the blood work. I took prometrium last month with my positive HPT b/c my progesterone was 10. Unfortunately it didn't help me and I had a chemical pregnancy. The good news for your friend is she is already 9 weeks which means the placenta should be taking over in another week.

The other option is to call her RE. They tend to have more experience with early pregnancy. I hope everything works out for her.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Oh and if my ob had not of ordered the progesterone, I was ready to go to my friend's ob out of network to get it. He would have done an emergency appt first thing on Monday (this happened on a Friday night) as he did with my friend (she found him through another mutual friend of ours. Her ob would not even monitor her HCG levels and she had miscarried twins the same day I lost Peyton). Which would have meant switching obs.

At first I took a compounded form specially made for me by the pharmacy. It kept breaking. So I asked him to switch it to prometrium. Prometrium is supposed to be taken orally. It is an offlabel use to use it vaginally. She wants to get it as close to the cervix as possible. Also, it caused me to have bleeding and spotting for 14 weeks because it irritated my cervix.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Tell her to take the progesterone. Cate wouldn't be here without it. Progesterone is often called the pregnancy hormone. She needs it to sustain pregnancy. 9.5 is low. Drs want to see 15 with supplementation and are happy with over 20. Mine with Cate was 6.8 and I was devestated. Anything less than 7 and you should miscarry according to online sites. Anything less than 5 and it is very difficult to even ovulate (which is wierd because I have no issues concieving. I get pregnant within 1-2 mos of trying). Anyway, I demanded progesterone supplements. The nurse said my ob didn't believe in it and she wasn't going to argue it with him. I then called my pcp begging for them and was BAWLING and hysterical (had already had two losses at 13 1/2 and 5 weeks in a row). The nurse from my pcp's office called and talked with me (love her cause she is so straightforward and tells it like it is). She said I don't understand about this progesterone thing. I know you know what you are talking about, so tell me. I told her what was going on and how you need it for the pregnancy to progress. She said my pcp would not order it for me because it was an ob issue and she didn't want to step on his toes (he had just delivered her baby three weeks before). She told me to call his a$$ at home and demand the progesterone. She said the life of your baby depends on it. So I paged him through the hospital (solo ob so he is ALWAYS on call and you get him directly after hours). I told him what happened and of course I was bawling and hysterical at this point. He said half obs think it is garbage and half obs believe.... I stopped him right there and told him I didn't give a **** what he believed. My level was very very low and was very high risk to miscarry. I had already lost two babies and wasn't about to lose another one. He said ok it won't hurt and he would call it in that night for me. Not only did he call it in that night, he had to find a pharmacy to make a compounded form of it for me and convinced them to stay open long enough for me to get it because they were about to close. I think I was one of those patients that changed his mind quite a bit about it. He was ambivilant on the phone about it. However, my hcg levels skyrocketed after taking it. I started off at 35, then 65 48 hours later (not doubling), then progesterone supplementation, then 312, then it started to quadruple. After getting me HCG results, he came into my appt. I didn't even say anything about the progesterone. Out of the blue, he goes, and you WILL be staying on the progesterone to at least 14-16 weeks. So not only did he put me on it, he kept me on it longer than most. I stayed on it for 19 weeks. After the appt, the nurse was asking me about it. She wanted to know who was the nurse that told me she would not discuss it with him. Turns out they order it all the time (I am assuming the midwives do, my ob only sees high risk patients). The nurse had never even discussed it with my ob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly believe Cate would not be here if I had not of gone on progesterone. It literally saved the pregnancy. I am certain I would have miscarried her. Also, the best way to take progesterone is vaginally. It gets the progesterone straight to wear it needs to go and that is the uterus. After one week on progesterone, my levels went to 15.

ladybug76135

Progesterone question (long- sorry)

Postby ladybug76135 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 08:15 pm

My AA at work is about 9 weeks pregnant. She has struggled with loss and infertility for 6 years (she has lost 4 babies- 1 as late as 22 weeks and 3 in the 10-11 week range). Last year she went through 3 rounds of IVF without getting pregnant so she and her husband decided to take a break and quit trying.

Over the course of this year, she has had a hard time medically- struggling with cholecystitis that wasn't immediately recognized (due to x-rays not showing stones) and then developed an ulcer. She lost about 25 pounds (I'd say she's now at her ideal weight) and suddenly she is pregnant! She started having some intermittent light pink bleeding last week. Her OB drew an HCG, did a sono and told her that she would either miscarry or she wouldn't. There was nothing he could do. Needless to say, she was devistated.

I finally convinced her that she needed to switch to a new OB who can handle a high risk pregnancy. I got her in with my OB and she saw him on Tuesday. She got a call today from the nurse at the office that she needed to immediately begin progesterone supplements because the baby was at risk. After I calmed her down, I had her call back and find out exactly what her number was. It came back at 9.5; doc wants it at 15 so she is starting prometrium twice a day. He wants to see her next week for a sono and a re-draw to make sure she is responding to the supplements.

I don't have any experience with low progesterone levels. Is there anything else that I should tell her? I explained the link between progesterone and loss and reassured her that many women have successfully carried babies with supplementation. Any advice is appreciated.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”