Your opinions on Amnio at 37 weeks?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
wrennie

Re : Your opinions on Amnio at 37 weeks?

Postby wrennie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 pm

me and sabrina went thru this together!! Well, the hospital wouldn't perform the csection at 37weeks unless they were sure. The amnio wasnt the best experience, but the doc assured me the only thing it would do "bad" is start labor, in which case we would deliver. But, it didnt start labor, and showed immature lungs...which meant waiting another week (after 8 weeks of being in the hospital already!). It felt like an eternity (and I cried when I found out), but it was worth waiting another week in the end to be sure she was ready. Ofcourse, it would have also been worth it to do it the day after the amino....if only! Hang in there, best to cook as long as you can, but I feel your pain, hospital living gets old fast!!

patty

Postby patty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 05:54 pm

I have never had an amnio. I guess it must not be standard in my area or the docs just thought getting me delivered was the right choice regardless.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 02:08 pm

FWIW, my second son was delivered at 37 weeks by c-section with no steroid injections and did just great with his breathing. His only problem was being able to hold his temp (he was a little small at 5 lb 11 oz), but he roomed in with me the whole time.

brockner1

Postby brockner1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks all for sharing your experiences! I am more concerned on chances of baby's lungs being matured at 37 weeks??? I mean i am hoping that baby's lungs are matured at 37 weeks so they can deliver me the next day. I am so tired of being in hospital.....missing home :-( But, obviously i want best for my baby...it is just that i am bit frustrated and feel scared most of the time...I think i will feel that way until i hold my healthy happy baby in my arms.

Keeping my fingers crossed! Being pregnant after severe pre-eclamptic pregnancy is very stressful...

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Feb 24, 2010 01:23 am

Hospital regulation. My peri had no intentions of letting me go past 37 weeks and wanted to schedule an amnio at my 12 week appt with Cate for 37 weeks. However my ob said let's see what happened. It ended up I had her at 36 weeks to the day. I had to have an amnio first. 1) it was hospital regulations 2) no nicu at my community hospital 3) while I had preeclampsia, one dr could say that I could wait while another would say are you crazy with her history deliver as soon as you can as my ob put it to me. My choice if I did not agree to the amnio was labwork to include a 24 hour urine every 48 hours until I became critical and needed an emergency delivery. Since I had had 2 of those, I agreed to the amnio. It ended up being teh best decision because I was getting worse fast. My bp did end up going to 160-170/110-120 and staying there by that time. The day I had the amnio I was admitted for induction.

lennoxlm

Postby lennoxlm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 08:48 pm

I had an amnio one day before delivery at 36 weeks the doctor told me he wanted to make sure the lungs were ready but he also want to know for sure if the NICU nurses needed to be in the O/R room. I wasn't very happy about it being done but I would have rather the hospital be ready for him.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Feb 23, 2010 07:03 pm

I was scheduled for an amnio at 38 weeks but it never happened due to low fluid. I was induced that day without the amnio.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 04:32 pm

I also was scheduled to have amnio at 36 weeks to test for lung maturity and the OB chose this time since with my prior history and classical c/s we didn't want to chance me going into labor..and use steroids if I was going at 36/27 weeks. Michael came at 32 so we never did it.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 04:14 pm

I was scheduled to have an amnio at 36 weeks to test for fetal lung maturity. If lungs came back mature we took her, it not I'd go to 37 weeks and we delivered no matter what because of my prior classica c-section. I went in for the amnio, freaked when I had to sign the paper about risk of fetal damage or death, then found out there was low fluid. This was Friday and I stayed in the hospital, got steroid shots and delivered Monday at 36w3d. My c-sections prior to 39 weeks are considered medically necessary due to my prior classical c-section. They won't allow me to go past 37 weeks for any reason. I would discuss your concerns with your doctor. Good luck.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Feb 23, 2010 03:24 pm

Agreeing with the two others, unless you are ill to the point the deliver is immediately necessary for you or baby, then most hospitals require amnios prior to 39 weeks. FWIW, my first was born at 36 on the nose without an amnio (though I did have one with him at 34 weeks) because I had an abruption, and I had an amnio with my second even though we'd been anticipating delivery the day I hit term (because I wasn't sick, but my history did point to an earlier delivery). Since you already are on hospital bedrest, maybe you could persuade him to deliver without the amnio?

The risks are as Jamie said - that you'll go into labor. I've had two, and they aren't that bad. It's not the greatest thing ever, but if you have a skilled u/s tech and your doctor does a lot of them, it should be fast and relatively simple. You'll feel a bit of pressure at the point of entry and the sting from the needle (just like any other needle stick, though), but once they get in and have a good pocket, they should get what they need rather quickly.

My first amnio was sent to another lab via courier, and it took about four hours to get the results. With my second, the lab was located on the floor above my MFM's office so we had results in about 30 minutes. I delivered that morning.

Hope it goes well!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”