Tubes Tied during c-section?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
dohertyab

Re : Tubes Tied during c-section?

Postby dohertyab » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 am

I had the discussion with my OB and if I was to have a C-section then I would get my tubes tied. Similar reasons, I was 38, 2 pregnancies that were not easy and 3 healthy children. Seemed a no-brainer to me. My OB agreed. Turned out I didn't need C-section so hubby had to get snipped, but it really does make sense. My sister in-law got her tubes tied after her last child (4th in 6 years) and she's very glad she did it! She said no difference in recovery. Good luck with your decision.

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 am

I had my tubes tied during my last c-section, and I have had no regrets, no sadness. We spent a long time talking about this really being our last child (at least biological) before we made the final decision. Also, I was 35 when she was born, so getting closer to the end of my babymaking years anyway. It is nice not to have to use anything ;).

melissam

Postby melissam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 08:00 pm

It is a hard decision some times. This baby snuck in there. We are glad that it did, but it will certainly be my last that comes through me. I am DONE! I am pretty sure I will have a tubal at the end of this. I am really looking forward to not having to worry about protection or anything else. We can just let it go back to being pleasurable. ;)

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:50 pm

I am with you Breanne- this kind of pregnancy doesn't seem normal- I think it is worse this time around even though nothing has happened yet because I am constantly worried about everything. No matter what happens I have already made decision that this will be it whether I have tubes tied or not. But I agree it is hard decision because it feels final to me

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 03:09 pm

I am 22 and this is my second. Even if this pregnancy goes "normal" it doesn't feel normal to me. Pregnancy just isn't a positive experience for me. I've worked with children since before high school, I love kids, but not pregnancy. I would also like to adopt if I decide I want more children in the future. Its just such a hard decision and I want to make sure I'm sure.

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 am

I had my tubes tied also in August of last year. No complications, no issues, VERY HAPPY THAT IT IS DONE and I don't have to worry about getting pregnant.

I have two boys and if I decide I want more children I will adopt :-)

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 am

I really appreciate everyone's honest answers. I have been contemplating this for a few weeks now and feel better now about talking with my docs at my appt tomorrow.

lauchlan

Postby lauchlan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:10 am

If I have to go in for a c-section this time, I will for sure get my tubes tied while they're in there. It's on my list of things to talk to them about at my appointment tomorrow. I think you have to sign the paperwork some # of weeks before the procedure. There is absolutely no way I'm going to put myself through the anxiety of another pregnancy. If we ever decided to have more children, we would adopt.

jend01

Postby jend01 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am

I'm not PG but I have already told my dr that after # 2 I want a tubal. She has no issues with it. I have my mind set.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 08:21 am

I had my tubes tied during my c/s with my 2nd. I didn't develop PE, but I knew that we (me, my body, my family) couldn't handle the stress of another pregnancy. While everything ended up fine, the stress of a high risk pregnancy on 2 counts was more than we felt we were up to again. I didn't make the final decision until after the first time I scrambled for a babysitter for my older son while I went to L&D while hubby was out of town for work. That sealed it for me.

I had no problems with recovery. My doctor did tell me that I had a lot of scarring and she had difficulty finding my left tube. She cut what she felt was the tube, but we had to wait for pathology to confirm (it was that questionable). I have fears that I'll be one of those who grows back or something and we are still careful around fertile times just in case. Although, I recently had a cancer treatment and was told that it would be unsafe to conceive within a year, so I double checked with my OB if I needed to take BC or take extra precautions to avoid pregnancy and she was very confident that it was permanent enough that I didn't need to take additional precautions to avoid pregnancy in the next year. Sorry...that was a long-winded way to say that there doesn't seem to be enough risk of failure that a doctor would go out of their way to prevent an especially dangerous pregnancy.

I also didn't have any problems with my doctors saying anything about my age (but, I was over 30). One of the docs in the practice (the one who treated me most during my PE) thought it was a wise choice given how poorly my body seemed to react to pregnancy.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”