Marathon training, wwyd?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
anonpreemiemom

Re : Marathon training, wwyd?

Postby anonpreemiemom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 08:46 pm

Ditto the others and yes do stay active! I did my 3rd Half Marathon a month before conception and I ran up until about 24 weeks (tapering down gradually every month). From that point I walked every day of my pregnancy save about 10 days. I think it helped me tremendously, and it really helped my mental state to relieve anxiety.

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 00:09 am

Definitely no offense taken, i'm not elite in any way shape or form lol :) I think I have pretty much bowed out of running for now. I will continue to stay active as I did in my last pregnancy, and walk for an hour a day. This is what I did last time up until my mid second trimester. It just doesn't feel right to be pushing my body that hard when I have so many other things to worry about.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 02:40 pm

I was running regularly (about 30 miles per week) before pregnancy, but not sure I would consider a full marathon at 8 weeks. I did a very short race (2 miles) about 6 weeks with no ill-effects - easing off my normal speed a little.

Of course, plenty of top women marathon runners have raced marathons at this stage or later in pregancy (sometimes without knowing they were pregnant) with no ill-effects at all. On the other hand, you are probably not quite at their elite fitness level (no offence intended, still sounds pretty food what you are doing). I also think you might find yourself disappointed with the time / performance you can put it - maybe wait until next year now?

Best wishes x

mrss

Postby mrss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 am

I think if you already don't feel comfortable doing it, then you shouldn't do it. Why put yourself in a position where you would feel guilty if something went wrong--even if it wasn't related to the actual running itself? As moms, we're pretty good about making ourselves feel guilty about things.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 am

I think you need to stop the training for the marathon but I think regular running/jogging/walking is fine. I was running about 20-25 miles a week when I found out I was pregnant. I reduced it to about 3 miles a day every other day and then walked on the other days. My doctor said this was fine as long as I stayed hydrated and did not let my body overheat. Once I got to end of 1st trimester my belly was getting big, so running was not comfortable for me (plus I live in FL and it was getting hot here). But I still walk at least every other day 3-4 miles and my bp is actually much lower on the days that I walk.

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 00:50 am

Thanks for your replies...this is what my gut instinct is too. I don't want to push it and cause harm. I just feel rotten for not being able to do it with DH. I hope I can convince him to still do it. I will keep you all posted, ty again.

apd

Postby apd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 08:35 pm

I know how disappointing it will be to stop training (I ran a marathon last fall with a 101 temp because well, it was race day), but I think you should drop out. It's alot of stress on a non-pregnant body and not worth you dehydrating or overheating and losing the baby.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Aug 17, 2010 07:23 pm

Totally just my personal opinion on this, but for me I think that the training and the marathon would have to wait for another time. I have done a few half marathons, so I have some idea what you have put into this, but for me I just wouldn't feel that comfortable running that much.

Hopefully you can get in touch with your doctors and run it by them.

Take care and congratulations,

leftcoastgirl

Marathon training, wwyd?

Postby leftcoastgirl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 07:08 pm

Found out yesterday we are expecting #4, and I put a call in to my MFM, he is out of town and will get back to me later this week. Here is my concern. DH and I are about 57 days away from running a marathon (26.2 miles) and i've been training about 35+ miles a week. On Saturday we run 2.5 hrs, and twice during the week we have 90 minute runs. The other days are "short" 40-50 minute runs, with two days off. I really feel like this is a LOT on your body during those first critical weeks. I also have a clotting disorder, so I worry about that too. I'm not sure I will hear from my MFM soon enough to get advice about what to do on this, would you put training on hold until you had an office visit? That could be two weeks or so i'm guessing. Training at this point is critical, so if I lose 2 weeks that is a lot. I'm just not sure if I even feel comfortable doing it even IF my doc says its ok. I would be a little over 8 weeks on marathon day (10/10/10). What do you think?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”