Doppler artery ultrasound

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mrss

Re : Doppler artery ultrasound

Postby mrss » Thu Sep 23, 2010 05:30 pm

When you have the doppler studies done, the blood flow is recorded in a wave pattern. The wave goes up and falls a little. If you have notching, the blood goes up, falls sharply and then flattens out. It shows that there's something impeding the bloodflow through the artery. Here's a link that shows what the notching looks like.
http://www.fetal.com/NT%20Screening/10% ... 0Meas.html

kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Doppler artery ultrasound

Postby kara » Tue Sep 21, 2010 04:58 pm

They are looking for something called "notching". You'd have to ask your doctor about the specific numbers as it relates to your case. But, I read that it's more accurate in first pregnancies and less accurate in subsequent pregnancies. Hopefully someone with the articles will post them for you soon.

I have an Avery, too! ;-)

apd

Doppler artery ultrasound

Postby apd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 04:53 pm

So my MFM said at 22 weeks they'd do a doppler artery ultrasound and if things "looked good" I'd have a 1% chance of gettin pree and if they looked "bad" I'd have a 50% percent. Is this the uterine notching people are talking about? What is this really? What are they looking for? Where do these numbers come from? Are there any links anyone has for more information?

Thanks!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”