what happens if my test results come back abnormal

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
klutsyone01

Re : what happens if my test results come back abnormal

Postby klutsyone01 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 02:11 am

Prayers. Sounds like you have an amazing doctor who is staying on top of things. Hoping baby stays in there for another 10 weeks

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:58 am

(((Shannon)))

It sounds like your doc is being realistic and hopeful ... and 32 weeks is a great goal.

With your previous pregnancies being full-term, I would request a NICU tour and a talk with one of the NICU docs about what to expect at 26 weeks and onward.

I was hospitalized at 27+0 weeks with fears of delivering within days. Given that we were at a different hospital (much less a different country) we requested a NICU visit and spoke with as many people as we could - from the NICU staff to the nurses about the long-term stay place by the hospital in case we had a micro-preemie.

Keep your chin up and know that we are here to support you and help answer whatever questions or ease your fears.

(((hugs)))

smccarter18

Postby smccarter18 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 am

I went in to the doctor yesterday and my blood pressure was a lttle high but with in normal range. my tests all came back ok. my protien level was a little high but not to bad. liver and kidneys are functioning well and the baby is measuring 2 weeks a head so the placenta is functioning well.

then the doctor went on to say... "stay in bed. only get up to eat, shower, and go to the bathroom and hopefully we'll be able to keep baby in until 32 weeks." he said he was hoping that it was just high blood pressure but given the protien in my urine, headaches, vsion issues, "fred flinstone feet"(thanks doc), and the fact that my blood pressure is not staying high but spiking it can't be just high blood pressure and he thinks because of my history and having been through this 3 times already, it is infact preeclampsia. so I'm seeing him again on thursday and we will be moving to weekly appontments after that instead of biweekly. 6 more weeks and we might be meeting daphne. I'm hoping for at least 10. either way I'm packing hospital bags and getting things ready just incase.

angieb

Postby angieb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 05:10 pm

If your bloodwork is bad, they will probably do more bloodwork to see what your numbers are doing exactly. Like if your platelets are a little low but holding steady and your liver enzymes are okay or just a little bit high and holding steady, they might let you try to get another week or two in under close monitoring.

If between the two blood draws your platelets are low and dropping further, or your liver enzymes are elevated and rising, then they really don't have much choice but to administer steroids to help develop your baby's lungs and then deliver soon after.

They won't usually make you deliver that early on blood pressure and spilling protein alone, they can try to manage your blood pressure with meds and bedrest, but once your bloodwork starts going downhill then they are pretty much out of options and time.

My fingers are crossed that your bloodwork comes back okay and you can keep that baby growing inside you for many more weeks!

smccarter18

Postby smccarter18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 01:22 pm

I forgot to add I'm 26 weeks.

apd

Postby apd » Mon Sep 27, 2010 01:15 pm

I don't know how far along you are, but if I had those pressures, my doctors' would have me on hospital bedrest. I'm not sure when they'd make the call - my doctor said it was time to section when my lungs filled up with fluid and two breathing treatments couldn't help me.

smccarter18

what happens if my test results come back abnormal

Postby smccarter18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 am

this is my 4th child. with my other 3 I was diagnosed with pre-e when I because full term. all three were induced at 38 weeks. last week i started feeling my heart beat really fast and it made me shakey and I just didn't feel right. i ignored it because it was to early I thought. after that my head started to hurt really bad and I started to get what looked like floating bright sparkles in my eyes as well as double vision. so I checked my blood pressure and it was 167/90 (normal for me is 110's/60's). I layed down for 15 minutes and checked it again and it was 157/92 so i called the doctor. they did blood work to check my kidney fuction and blood count and a 24 hour urine test. they also did a second blood test but I'm not sure what it was for and put me on bedrest. if my blood and/or urine tests come back abnormal what would be the next step? would they deliver my daughter or keep me on bedrest?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”