Chronic Hypertension - 2nd pregnancy

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ked75

Re : Chronic Hypertension - 2nd pregnancy

Postby ked75 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:30 am

Wow - thanks for all the great advice and words of encouragement - I feel so much less alone.

I will be seeing my MFM on Dec. 16th, they won't see me until I am 14 weeks unless I really get out of control. For now, I bought a BP monitor for home, and everything seems ok for now. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

I am so happy to find a place where people have really been through this!

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 04:44 am

Best of luck to you! I think you'll find this forum is a great place to come to when it seems like no one in your "real life" understands you :)

I started taking BP meds around 5 weeks in this pregnancy (prior one I didn't start taking them until 31 weeks). I've been on the same dose the entire time, along with baby aspirin and some other vitamins, and am thankful I'm at 37 weeks now and being delivered on Thursday.

I have worked full-time with this pregnancy and my husband is currently deployed to Afghanistan so my anxiety level has been a bit of an issue, but I second the suggestion of trying to make sure you can rest as much as possible. It's been hard for me to see things piling up at home, but at least I always have something for someone to do when they ask if they can help me out :)

No doubt about it that subsequent pregnancies are difficult after having gone through pree once. It truly sucks to be robbed of that innocence, but know you've found a great place to come to for information and support.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 00:27 am

I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension in 2007. With my last pregnancy I was on Atenolol and had about 3 or 4 med adjustments when my BP would either go up or down with a dip. As a chronic going into this pregnancy I knew that med adjustments would be made, and that it did not necessarily mean PE. Of course, each time my BP would go up I would head into L&D and have labs drawn just to make sure it wasn't PE.

Hang in there---med adjustments will be made. The lowest dose I took was 12.5mg Atenolol once a day to 50mg once a day.

Are you keeping an eye on your BP's at home?

ked75

Postby ked75 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:04 am

I am not on baby aspirin, but I will ask about it. I was just talking to my neurologist the other day about taking Vitamin D supplements (before I knew I was pregnant) because I am borderline low. I have multiple sclerosis too...so that's a whole other fun topic.

I am anxiously awaiting a call from my MFM's office (hopefully) saying that they can fit me in soon to take a look at my meds, get me started on a good program of monitoring, etc. I'm going to go ahead and buy some Vitamin D too - it can't hurt and it sounds like it just might help!

I wonder if anyone has ever heard about hypothyroid being related to high diastolic readings? Because I did read that and being pregnant has also thrown my thyroid all out of whack, so I'm starting meds for that too this week.

lukesmom06

Postby lukesmom06 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

HI!!

I am a CHT, and doing OK until this week, my first pregnancy I had PIH that unmasked underlying hypertension, did 21 weeks of bedrest and had my son at 31 weeks.

I came in medicated, but just had my first med increase a few weeks ago. My advice is stay hydrated, find out what your OB says about vitamin D supplements ( they have helped me ), and rest when needed. Stay ahead of the rises as much as you can with your meds. I even had a second trimester dip this time! :)

I am almost 26 weeks and we will probably be delivering around 12/27 or 37 weeks because I did go pre-eclamptic. Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can. This time I have gone on several vacations and have avoided bedrest thus far and even though I was a little discourage the other day, I am holding out hope for at least 35 weeks!

Your history sounds so much better than mine so I really hope they will keep your pressures under control and you will see another full term baby!

Oh last thing, do they have you on any baby aspirin yet? that is the other thing I am on.

Good Luck!

ked75

Chronic Hypertension - 2nd pregnancy

Postby ked75 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:41 pm

Hi everyone! This is my very first post - and I'm so stressed out. I am 5.5 weeks pregnant. I have a 14 month old too, and I had high blood pressure with her starting at 27 weeks. I treated with an MFM, took atenolol, and never developed pre-e...went right up to my due date.

This time, my blood pressue is already high, so my OB has diagnosed it as chronic hypertension. She put me back on a small dose of atenolol (12.5 mg/twice a day) and I am waiting to see if I can get back in with my MFM prior to my 2nd trimester. I'm doing a 24-hr urine catch this weekend to get a baseline.

I'm super worried about being on bed rest again, especially now with the financial realities of having a toddler around the house - we depend on my income. I'm wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom re: chronic hypertension, and what I may potentially be looking at down the road. I would love to think this can all be controlled again just like last time...but I'm starting to think my body hates being pregnant - it's starting so early this time!

Thanks! Kristen

Return to “Pregnant Again?”