Time to find a new dr??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
agiledarby

Re : Time to find a new dr??

Postby agiledarby » Sun Nov 28, 638945 12:00 am

If you feel like he's bypassing you, if you are frustrated, if you WANT TO , find a new doc.
THe way I look at it, I am just one of many to him, but this is my one and only last go at a baby.
The stakes are just too high for me to risk, I found a doc and perinatologist that I feel well cared for by-
Good luck with your choice, and I hope you feel at peace with the dic you end up with.
Rate my MD is a wonderful thing.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Thu Sep 30, 638945 5:03 am

It's good to know you didn't start the pregnancy with blood sugar issues. You could get an inexpensive monitor and strips at Target if your budget will allow for that.

I guess like Kara sugguested, telling your doctor you need better communication is something you need to do. Thats a really hard thing to do though isn't it? I remember how uneasy I felt over how things were going with the reg. OB.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Sep 29, 638945 6:01 am

Maybe you could schedule your next appointments with the partner???

emmyab

Postby emmyab » Sun Sep 19, 638945 8:47 pm

I was screened after my last pregnancy and didnt have any issues, I was tested the first time at 20 weeks. it came back border line. no i didnt need isulin with my first son, i contolled it with diet, the same diet ive fallowed for 4 years now. i called his nurse and they told me they left me several messages, but i didnt have any and the number they have is mine. so i dont know what to think, i am now waiting to get my testing equipment but my dr wont call in a script for it till i have a apt with diabets educator. so another week with out testing my B/S and no call from the new educator.
my bp's are high now then wehn he started me on B/P meds the first time. i know every pregnancy is diffrent but i you guys talking about things your doing and ask my dr about them and hes blows them off.. so sigh... went to er this weekend with back pain and cramping, everything was good, but i saw on of my drs partners and i loved her, so who knows...

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun Sep 19, 638945 1:51 am

I thought if a mom had gd in a previous pregnancy that she would be tested earlier for gd in a subsequent pregnancy, I could be wrong though.

Why three screenings if you've already had gd? Did you go on insulin last time? I would be concerned about the gd not being treated. When I had a m/c I asked the MFM when I should be seen if I got pregnant again and he said to call right away and come in right away. Even if your bp isn't high enough for meds., your blood sugar issues need to be addressed. Hopefully you can address all of this with your doctor. He may be unaware that his staff didn't call you with your gtt results.

Also, were you told to be screened for pre-diabetes after your last pregnancy? The MFM kept stressing to me that I needed to be screened for that and I did turn out to be pre-diabetic.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Sep 18, 638945 6:19 am

It's probably not too realistic to get a new OB at this stage of the game within the same city, and then you risk an even worse experience with someone who doesn't know your history or how to care for you. It sounds to me like your doctor needs a gentle reminder that YOU need him to communicate with you. Ask him to fill you in on the details. Ask him the questions you've written here - because we have to communicate with them about our needs, too. Sometimes they forget or don't bother to fill us in on the details, because so many women don't care or don't ask, or don't know that they should ask. Explain how you are feeling about everything, and chances are, he'll be more communicative with you. He's likely just busy and forgotten to provide you with the information.

He may not be considering blood pressure meds because your pressures aren't high enough for them. BP meds tend to restrict blood flow to the baby, so they are only used when it's necessary. Chances are a nurse or MA was meant to call you with your results and it didn't happen. Yes, that is a problem, and one you can address with your doctor.

Hope that provides another perspective on the situation. Take care and let us know how it goes.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Sep 17, 638945 7:43 pm

I had a similar thing happen. I had the 3 hour gtt done the week before Christmas and felt so awful afterwards I called the lab to see how soon I could get the results. She said if I called the OB's office the next day they could get the result by phone. Med. assistant put me off and I was not told of the results until January when I made a point of asking what the results were (at first the dr. said they didn't have the results, but then he checked on another computer). I was then referred to a MFM.

The OB asked me at the next three appointments if I had gotten the gtt done because he didn't see any results on the chart. I was already on insulin and being seen regularly by the MFM, and he had no idea because the gtt results still hadn't been put on the electronic medical chart. He was clueless. The MFM was providing concurrent care for the gd and hypertension and doing a much better job at knowing what was going on.

Are you going to be seen by a MFM? At least then you would have someone answering your questions and watching over you closely. I had that reg. OB for 17 years and thought he was wonderful until my last two pregnancies. He had gotten so busy though and his new staff was TERRIBLE! I never even went back for my six week check-up. He really dropped the ball with my last two pregnancies and I lost all trust in him.

emmyab

Time to find a new dr??

Postby emmyab » Wed Aug 04, 638945 4:45 pm

Ok, so im ganna kinda vent. Im so ticked at my Dr!
I went in 4 weeks ago @20weeks to do a glucose test, they had me do the 1 hour, it came back on the high end of normal, since i have gestional db in my frist pregnancy my dr wanted to go ahead and do the 3 hour. ok took it the next week. again came back the high side of normal. well still concerened with it he had me retest a 3 hour again, for the next week. well i was sick with the flu and wasnt sitting in a waiting room for 3 hours so i called the dr. nurse to reschedule. 4 times in 2 weeks i called to reschedule. finally the nurse called back and was crappy with me for not retesting again. I told her i had called the office 4 times and left messages to schedule the retest. so i retested on wend. hadnt heard anything so i figured he was finally happy that maybe im just high end of normal since no news is good news generally. NO.. i get a call from a hospital across town from their diabetes educator calling to schedule an appointment for monday. MY DR OFFICE DIDNT HAVW THE NERVE TO CALL AND TELL ME THE RESULTS OF THE SCREENING... I have no idea whats going on.

Im feeling more and more that my OB doesnt have time for me.I asked at my last apt. what was the plan and he made a comment about not needig a plan. I need a plan, since i had a c section after trying to be induced while on Mag for 2 weeks with my first son would i be back on Mag since it did buy me 2 weeks? or would i just deliver if my BPs started going up? should i take baby asprin? should i start BP meds? (my bps have started to creep, and he showed no concern.)

Im really frustrated and i know this isnt good for me or my baby.
i loved him with my first son! he was open and honest about things. willing to figure out how to get me as far as possable. now that his practice has grown i feel like im getting very little..

can anyone give me any suggestions? i honestly dont know if the dr/paitient relationship can be fixed. but how do i find a new OB at 25 weeks with deliviery being a realistic thing in the next 8-10 weeks.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”