Disconnected from pregnancy? Am I alone?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kbielec

Re: Disconnected from pregnancy? Am I alone?

Postby kbielec » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

I am not yet pregnant so can't speak to those feelings but we've been trying since June '10 and I am scared sick. We got the green light after we lost our daughter three years ago this March and we have a "plan" set in place with our OB and MFM for when we do get pregnant - but I would lie if I said I didn't feel some relief every 28 days. I get excited to be pregnant but then when AF arrives, I feel a moment of relief - then guilt for feeling the relief. It's so hard. Hang in there
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox

tylerlanesmommy

Postby tylerlanesmommy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 06:35 pm

Well I guess I have good and bad news to report. I went to my 29 week check up on friday and my bp 169/115. I have "white coat syndrome", but that was way high even for my white coat syndrome. So here we go again with PIH. With my first pregnancy I went on bedrest and no meds. This time around I'm now taking Lebetalol. No bedrest as of yet.
The good news is that the Labetalol seems to be having quite a calming effect on me. The last 3 days have been great! I've actually been excited about buying baby clothes and decorating the nursery! I hate that I have to be medicated during my pregnancy, but at least I am Finally making a connection with my baby!
BTW, does anyone have any previous experience with Labetalol? Everything I see online says they don't knkow how it effects the baby. Just curious?
Mommy to Tyler Lane born at 34 weeks due to Severe PE. He's now my 6 year old miracle boy!Expecting Campbell Dawn 4/27/2011! So far, so good!!!

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks me too!!
Mom of 4 living, 2 angels. www.myforeverangels.com

tylerlanesmommy

Postby tylerlanesmommy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 07:18 am

Thanks Lucy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us to have healthy full term babies this time around!
Mommy to Tyler Lane born at 34 weeks due to Severe PE. He's now my 6 year old miracle boy!Expecting Campbell Dawn 4/27/2011! So far, so good!!!

lucy

Postby lucy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:53 pm

I can say your defintely not alone here, I lost my son after getting pre-eclampsia, than lost my daughter when she was nearly 6 wks old after again having preeclampsia and being on bedrest until I had her at 37 weeks,went on to have two healthy little girls, but for some reason this pregnancy I have stayed disconnected. I am 22 weeks and I guess it's not "as" bad as it was earlier in the pregnancy but I still have not completely come around. I keep hoping that it will happen with the 3D ultrasounds that should be coming up and defintely when the baby is born.

I too felt super guilty but I do think it's a way of protecting yourself, once that beautiful baby is placed in your arms you'll have no trouble bonding probably. Hang in there.
Lucy
Mom of 4 living, 2 angels. www.myforeverangels.com

tylerlanesmommy

Postby tylerlanesmommy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am

I'm feeling the same way. Up until today, I thought I was just depressed due to hormones etc. But today I realized that I've been putting up a guard so I wouldn't get too attached..."just in case". My son, Tyler, was a 34 weeker due to my severe PE. I went on strict bedrest with him at 28 weeks due to PIH. Now, six years later, I will be 28 weeks with my second child on wednesday. It's hitting me harder than I expected. Even though this pregnancy has been good so far, it kind of feels like I am waiting for the other shoe to fall...so to speak. I haven't been able to get really excited with this pregnancy. With Tyler, I read every baby book out there and would spend hours singing and reading to him while he was in the womb. Aside from ultrasounds and kicks, I'm having a hard time even fathoming that I'm really going to have another baby. I feel guilty that I am not giving her the same attention that I gave him. I'm so glad I logged on here today. I was really starting to think that I was alone with these feelings.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Sun Jan 23, 2011 06:34 pm

no you are not alone. I have become to absolutely hate pregnancy but want my baby safe and sound NOW! I wish I could fast forward too. Dont be ashamed of how you feel. It is normal.
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

ktoves

Postby ktoves » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 am

I too have felt the same way with my current pregnancy. I had Preeclampsia with my first then went on to have severe Preeclampsia with my second. Afterwards I was diagnosed with heart valve disease and sponge kidney disease. At 23 years old, it was a tough pill to swallow. I became pregnant with my 3rd and miscarried at 13 weeks. After deciding that there was to be no more children I became pregnant again before my husband's vasectomy. I am now 14 weeks pregnant and I went through a good month of feeling like it was the end of the world as if it was a death sentence. I am extremely fearful and it makes me so sad that I can't just enjoy this pregnancy. Every headache I have I get nervous, every palpitation or racing heart, every hiccup I think that something bad is or could be happening. I wont feel okay until 2 months after delivering a healthy baby. You are definitely not alone in feeling you have some distance with the pregnancy.
2X Preeclampsia & PP Preeclampsia survivor
Due July 22nd 2011 with baby #3
Diagnosed w/ heart valve disease & sponge kidney disease 2009

cettvm

Postby cettvm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 05:27 pm

You are absolutely not alone! I had PE in my first pregnancy with lot of difficult emotions and little family support. I hadnt thought about another pregnancy until almost 5years now.. but as I started seeing my daughter need a sibling, I brought some courage on and am pregnant now 35weeks. To tell you the truth, I have unconsciously not bonded with this poor child of mine; it just grew to where it is now. Perhaps my bonding will begin after the baby is born.. I could reassure you that your feelings are not at all out of place.. but be sure to have some moments of joy since time through pregnancy does fly by; despite our worries and anxieties.. Take care//

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 am

I did feel that way from week 10-20 with this pregnancy. Afraid to invest my emotions! Your not alone!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

Return to “Pregnant Again?”