Called the on Call doc ***UPDATED went in!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Called the on Call doc ***UPDATED went in!

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 09:48 pm

The flu shot actually works for seasonal flu, it just doesn't work as well as we would like. :) Still improves your odds tho.

Keep us posted as you're able.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 05:12 pm

Laura- I am so sorry you are going through all this stress. On x-mas eve I had same sort of thing- vomiting and I panicked and went to hospital- luckily all of my labs turned out ok. During this last pregnancy, I started every call to the doctor with - last time I had Class I HELLP and my baby and me almost died. I hated to relive everything but if that is what is took to have them listen to me then I did. I felt they took me more serious with that information, especially considering I never even had most of the typical HELLP symptoms. And I never took no for an answer. I would say to the nurse or doctor who called me back that I didn't want to take any chances.
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 05:05 pm

I think I will just have to explain my history to every on call doc. :roll: I am still feeling nauseous, and heartburn still bad, mainly right after I eat. I am also feeling really run down and kind of out of it. UGH :| This whole guessing game is not fun.
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 03:52 pm

Sorry you're not feeling well. I agree that we shouldn't have to relive the pain of our losses just to get help. Like you said, a women should not have to suffer a loss to be taken seriously--symptoms are symptoms, but unfortunately, that is what I found to be the case when it comes to after hour calls. My OB told me if I had to call in after hours to make sure the on-call doctor knew I had a history of 1) severe preeclampsia, 2) low amniotic fluid, and 3) premature delivery with neonatal loss. Each time I would stay composed on the phone, until I got to the death of my daughter. :(

I hope your test come back ok and you start feeling better soon.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

ktsl123

Re: Called the on Call doc

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Go with your gut feeling. Don't take any risks. That's ridiculous just to diagnose you over the phone. After having the flu you do have immunity to that particular flu virus The flu vaccine is only with the regular flu and there is no vaccine for the stomach flu.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 09:39 pm

he didnt know my history :( boo. if i throw up again i will go in for sure. i just am worried about my alt and ast levels. i want them checked

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Wed Jan 26, 2011 09:36 pm

Does the on call know your history? I've had similar problems with the on call because she assumes I'm the average pregnant woman. It isn't your job to decide what is normal and what is not. I understand waiting, I really do. But if you throw up again please do go in. Hope it's just a bug and it passes soon. Keep us posted.
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

l412angel

Called the on Call doc ***UPDATED went in!

Postby l412angel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 09:11 pm

I am so upset right now.

Ok so I ate dinner, steak and cauliflower. Nothing abnormal. About two hours later, my stomach felt so full it was ridiculous, then came the cramping, then of course TMI** diarrhea, for about 5 minutes straight, then my stomach pains were so bad of course we had to add in vomiting. THANK GOD there was a garbage can around.

This am I was feeling very tired and my BP 99/73 which is super low for me, esp top number. So tonight after throwing up etc it was 118/80 which is normal for me, maybe a tad high.

Ok moving on...I decided to call on call doc (who I am not too found of...my beloved OB is on vacation) He was less than nice and told me its probably the flu. I JUST HAD THE FLU TWO WEEKS AGO? Fever, chills...etc...ugh.

I am frustrated. I feel ok now, besides the fact I am weak from throwing up and baby is moving all around.

There is a fine line between worrying that its HELLP or PE and it being normal pregnancy. Could this be normal pregnancy? Because I truly do not feel like it is the flu!

If I throw up again I am going to go to L&D just to be safe...the doctor wants me to come in tomorrow...unless they plan on doing an NST or something, I dont see how they would diagnose anything by looking at me right?

Part of me feels like maybe I should just call my MFM from now on?

------------------------------------------

This is the second time I have had flu like symptoms in about 2 weeks. :? Strange. Now Im thinkin its really not the flu...and if it is I am a prime advocate that the flu shot is BS! :roll:

The on call doctor was not mine as mine was on vacation. Now whenever I call on call which has been only twice in 31 weeks (pretty good) I dont say "I lost my daughter, I almost died blah blah" #1. I shouldnt have to relive that. #2. That is their job as a doctor to know my history. I am not a teacher. :evil: I explained my symptoms and was told to come in tomorrow morning. No one seemed to be so concerned. Well this morning at the crack of dawn I get like three phone calls. It was the on call doctor from last night wanting to see me right away. Explaining he read my medical history and was not aware I had a loss. This is where I get a tad aggravated. Why does it matter that I had a loss? Do you need to have a loss for symptoms to be taken seriously? :roll: With Cara when I called in I was just every other normal pregnant women...so I guess if I had a loss prior to Cara I would have been taken seriously? Ugh lame. :roll: Loss or no loss every pregnant women calling in should be taken seriously. He went on to tell me to come in right away. So I brushed my teeth and away I went.

In the office they got me on the NST (Non stress test) Carter was active, no contractions...all was well in that department. They took my BP 94/60. :shock: Wowzers...probably so low because I am super dehydrated, from being so sick last night. Mine is NEVER EVER that low. Dr. did a full blood panel checking ALT and AST, platelets etc...everything. Good news is no protein in urine! Yay! :) I was sent home and will be gracing them with my presence for more blood work (to check my glucose and a BPP ultrasound annnd side note my 1 hour fasting that I retook came back 86 this time which is fantastic!)

Now...on to answer some questions

Why didn't they put you in the hospital? My BP is good, no protein in urine, baby is fantastic, :D so its not urgent. ALTHOUGH Preeclampsia and HELLP can come with no symptoms, or just throwing up etc. You do not have to have high bp and swelling or protein in your urine...there are other symptoms, those were just my symptoms from last pregnancy. This time could be different, lets hope it's nothing of course. IF I have any other reservations I will head straight in today.

Honestly the past few weeks with having the flu, bronchitis and now this. My body just needs rest. I am so tired. :(

Ok so all in all here is what we are waiting for. If my labs come back fine and Kidney and Liver are good (Last pregnancy they basically shut down) then its the flu...again. If they come back wonky, it could be the start of Preeclampsia.
Last edited by l412angel on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baby #3 due June 2012

Return to “Pregnant Again?”