29 week appt, a little bummed

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
angieb

Re: 29 week appt, a little bummed

Postby angieb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 05:55 pm

I'm glad your boss is being pretty understanding! That's probably one of the advantages of being a NICU nurse, I'm sure they don't want to see your baby in there!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Angela, I work .75 right now, and will be going to .6 after the baby is born...we also only have 12 hour shifts. I did talk to my boss today about doing Level 2 care only for awhile instead of Level 3, which hopefully will help. My boss told me not to even worry about getting a doctors note just let her know what I need to do. Yes i'm on lovenox/asa...I didnt work at all my last pregnancy (I had just graduated nursing school when I got hired, and they let me start when he was 3 months old). It's definitely a luxury to be pregnant and not have to work I am now realizing! Best wishes to you, hope you continue to hold up for your 12 hour shifts.
Definitely get your doctor to write a note. Do you work FT? 12 hr shifts?
I am an ICU nurse and we don't have any 8 hr shifts available so if I have to cut back on work, I'm planning to ask my MD if I can have a note to cut me back to .6 FTE.
Hopefully all will go well with the rest of your pregnancy. Are you on lovenox/ASA again?

Angela
I'm 37, DH is 45 - pregnant with #4 (surprise baby)
DD, 26 weeker - 16, 1 lb. 8 oz. severe pre-e
DS, 29 weeker - 13, 2 lb. 2 oz. severe pre-e
DS - 3 FULL TERM, no pre-e (lovenox, baby aspirin pregnancy, I have Factor V Leiden)
Due 4/25/11 ~ Oliver Isaac due to arrive 4/8 via scheduled c/s
Busy mommy and NICU nurse living in beautiful Oregon

SeattleMom

Postby SeattleMom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 05:23 pm

Definitely get your doctor to write a note. Do you work FT? 12 hr shifts?
I am an ICU nurse and we don't have any 8 hr shifts available so if I have to cut back on work, I'm planning to ask my MD if I can have a note to cut me back to .6 FTE.
Hopefully all will go well with the rest of your pregnancy. Are you on lovenox/ASA again?

Angela

cettvm

Postby cettvm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:40 am

Easing up on work; Taking deep relaxing breaths and Drinking Plenty of Fluids would definitely help.
I too had bumps along the road with low fluid, rising BP etc. and I did my best to drink a lot, and eased out on work.
Definitely doable. keep at it. Kudos

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 06:51 pm

I'm sorry. :(

I think easing up on work is definitely a good idea.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can hang in there for many many more weeks.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

leftcoastgirl

29 week appt, a little bummed

Postby leftcoastgirl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 04:45 pm

My BP took a significant jump. I am normally 100/60....and it was 124/72, which is still within normal limits, but high for me. They took it again before I left and it was 132/80. Ugh. I was measuring (by tape measure) 2 weeks behind and on the little laptop u/s machine my fluid looked a little low, so they got me right in for a growth ultrasound on the good u/s machine (my doc is an MFM). So the fluid IS a little low, and the umbilical cord is having more resistance...nothing TOO alarming just yet but things are just not going in the right direction. He is measuring on track though via ultrasound... 29w1d (just one day behind) and weighs 3 lbs 1 oz. I am not spilling any protein but I do have edema in my legs. I have to go now weekly for NSTs. :shock:

She did talk to me about seeing if I could cut back on my work hours, which im not sure if I can just yet. I am a NICU nurse so my job can be pretty stressful at times. I might talk to my boss to see if they can just give me level 2 assignments (feeders/growers, close to going home) vs. level 3 assignments (sick, unstable babies, 24 weekers, vented patients, etc.). That would probably help reduce my stress level. I am not sure if a doctors note would clarify that enough or how any of that works?? Ugh. Wasn't expecting to hear this today so I am a bit bummed out.
I'm 37, DH is 45 - pregnant with #4 (surprise baby)
DD, 26 weeker - 16, 1 lb. 8 oz. severe pre-e
DS, 29 weeker - 13, 2 lb. 2 oz. severe pre-e
DS - 3 FULL TERM, no pre-e (lovenox, baby aspirin pregnancy, I have Factor V Leiden)
Due 4/25/11 ~ Oliver Isaac due to arrive 4/8 via scheduled c/s
Busy mommy and NICU nurse living in beautiful Oregon

Return to “Pregnant Again?”