Has anyone worked full time throughout their 2nd pregnancy?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
l412angel

Re: Has anyone worked full time throughout their 2nd pregnan

Postby l412angel » Sat Mar 12, 2011 07:33 pm

I am a stylist, so full time is different for me. I cut my hours back at 20 weeks to three 6 hour days, and am sooo glad I did. It gave me more time to rest and just put my feet up.

I also was taken off work at 34 weeks. I swear that is what helped me get to 36!!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Thu Mar 10, 2011 07:12 pm

Thanks! I'm growing concerned because I'm a physical therapist and I see patients every half hour. So my job isn't very sedentary. But I can at least adjust my schedule and the types of patients I see. I've read that bedrest is neither helpful or hurtful so I'm crossing my fingers that I can still do my job.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Mar 10, 2011 06:48 pm

Jumping in late, but I also worked fulltime up until the day I delivered my youngest. At that time I was working in social services and had public health right next door and they were able to monitor my bp for me throughout the day.

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Thu Mar 10, 2011 03:17 pm

Thanks for the reply ladies. This has been very helpful!
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox

jules2

Postby jules2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 02:05 pm

Yes - I worked full time. In fact I worked very long hours! I had a great second pregnancy - no PE, no high bp, and now have a healthy happy 12 week old daughter to show for it - born at 38+2 weeks by c section but only due to a transverse lie, not any other problems.
I worked right up to the day or two before delivery! In fact I had a hugely stressful time at work during my second pregnancy, much more difficult than my first.

I wanted to stay working full time for financial reasons and I really think this made no difference whatsoever to the outcome of my pregnancy. In fact, my doctors supported this - they thought it woiuld help take my mind off the anxiety (I think it did). If I had sat at home on my own I would have become a nervous wreck!

Whilst many women do like to drop their hours at work and avoid stress, and I understand why, there is absolutely no evidence that working long hours (or stress) contributes to PE, so just go right ahead and do what suits you with confidence x
May 2009 - Alice stillborn at 26 weeks due to severe PE and HELLP post-partum

2 early miscarriages

And then 4th pregnancy baby girl due 29th December 2010! Born safely after totally normal pregnancy on 17th December.

SeattleMom

Postby SeattleMom » Thu Mar 10, 2011 08:02 am

I'm 22 weeks with my second and am currently working full time. My husband is not working so I need to try to make it as far as I can. I'm a nurse and I work 12 hr shifts in the ICU so the days are long and stressful. It worries me a lot that I'm stressing my body too much and for the potential of what might happen this time around. My MFM doctor said as far as he's concerned I can work full time until I deliver. Starting at 28 weeks I'll have to do NST's 2x weekly until delivery so I'm considering having my hours dropped to part time around that point. I'm going to take it day by day though. There's always the unanticipated bed rest, etc.

riehlism

Has anyone worked full time throughout their 2nd pregnancy?

Postby riehlism » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:22 am

Quitting or decreasing my hours at work is not a viable option for me. At best I will likely be on light duty at work, which they can accommodate for. Obviously this is worrisome to me as my pregnancy progresses. I have read that some of you ladies have taken time from work, but have any of you continued to work full time? What was the outcome?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”