When do NSTs start?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lizard

Re: When do NSTs start?

Postby lizard » Thu Aug 12, 639249 3:05 am

i didn't start till 32 wks. and i only went once a week. your doc isn't there, a nurse is. at first i didn't mind them but i was sooooooo over them by the end. my advice to you is eat and drink something right before or during your nst. it almost always guarentees the 2 required heart accelerations in under 20min and you're outta there! i had my last one scheduled on my due date at 40wks but never made it!! cause she came that morning. :)

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 11, 639249 1:20 pm

Oh, and your MFM or ob won't actually be doing the test and probably don't need to be there/won't be there. Just a nurse typically does it and if they have concerns then they consult with the MFM/ob on duty.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 11, 639249 1:16 pm

I started them at the end of 27 wks, in hindsight, I would have started them at 32 weeks, because I had A LOT of false alarms (every time)..not just nonreactive/not passing, but decelerations a lot too. At 31 weeks he looked so bad and then didn't pass the biophysical profile, the nurse faxed my actual test strip to the mfm (they don't normally do that), my mfm had me admitted and thought we might even end up delivering that day. (And once in the hospital, he was perfect on the monitors.) Once I got to 32 weeks, he passed every NST easily and even got comments like, "I wish every baby did this good!"...so anyway...in my case starting them early caused a lot of unnecessary worry when everything was perfectly fine. Since you need to save time from work, you may want to see if they are okay with you waiting till 32 weeks for monitoring unless symptoms or trouble starts.

For NST's, they do need to be several days apart, an nst is considered an assurance of fetal well being for I think 3ish days, which is why they are twice weekly, although I know in certain cases my mfm practice had people going just once weekly for nst's (like for gestational diabetes that was being treated with diet alone and no other risk factors, those people were once weekly.) If they did biophysical profiles instead (which includes an NST as part of the test), I believe those are considered assurance for a week, so you may ask if you can do that instead (it's a bit more thorough, they do an ultrasound and watch the baby for breathing, muscle tone, movement, fluid levels,etc. plus an nst.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

riehlism

When do NSTs start?

Postby riehlism » Wed Aug 11, 639249 9:40 am

I'm 18 weeks, but since I work full time I have to start planning ahead for my appointments. I never got far enough in the last pregnancy to go through routine NSTs.

At what week did you guys start doing NSTs?

I understand they are typically twice a week. Do they have to be a few days a part. Are back to back appts ok? My high risk is only in my area Wed and Thu in the evenings. And my regular OB is about 45 min away, and during my working hours.

I am trying to minimize the amount of time I have to be off work so I have some leave in case I get pulled from work, and for maternity.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Return to “Pregnant Again?”