What measures did you take 2nd time around? Did it help?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
riehlism

Re: What measures did you take 2nd time around? Did it help?

Postby riehlism » Tue Sep 09, 639259 6:59 pm

I will be 34 weeks tomorrow. So far no preeclampsia/HELLP gliches throughout this pregnancy. I have Gestational Diabetes, but that's unrelated to my previous history.

I started LDA prior to TTC and started Lovenox at 13 weeks. I probably would have started the Lovenox sooner, but 13 weeks was the only time I could get in to see my MFM. I am also on extra folic acid, LDA, prenatals, and Metformin for the the GD.

From the beginning I appointments with my OB every other week and monthly appointments with my MFM. Then in the second trimester, it was OB and MFM every other week. In the third trimester, weekly appointments with both. At 31 weeks, we added twice weekly NSTs and AFIs. There has been quite a lot of monitoring, and some medication adjustment based on what they see on the scans. So far, everything is working out fine.

I was not on any diet (except for the GD diet now), or exercised. I had such a terrible history that they wanted me to basically do nothing to raise my BP. I had PE and HELLP at 21/22 weeks and delivered my sweet baby Blue at 24+6.

I was exercising while TTC and found out I was pregnant soon after I started working out. Since it was a new activity and everyone was so scared, they said to just lay off exercising. I've also bee monitoring my BP and blood sugars multiple times a day. So really, aside from meds, there's just a lot of monitoring on my side, and the medical side of things. Whatever it is, it seems to be working. My BPs are steadily averaging at 100s/60s throughout this pregnancy. I have no protein in my urine, and little Snowflake is right on track, growth-wise. Good luck with this pregnancy.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

vit9109

Postby vit9109 » Tue Sep 09, 639259 11:24 am

Thank you for your reply!! So happy to hear that you have been doing well and everything has been manageable and under control. Many blessings for a safe healthy delivery for your both on Monday!! Wishing you all the best!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Tue Sep 09, 639259 11:03 am

The only thing I did was control my chronic hypertension... which hasn't been proven to prevent preeclampsia. But it's better for me and better for baby that I don't walk around with diastolics of 105. :) I've had amazing control this pregnancy and everyone's been pleasantly surprised. I'm 38 weeks (scheduled to deliver Monday) with no signs of developing pre-e yet.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

vit9109

What measures did you take 2nd time around? Did it help?

Postby vit9109 » Tue Sep 09, 639259 7:37 am

Hi Ladies,
I too had pre-e after delivery. I am currently 6 weeks along and wanted to see what some of you may have done the second time around that may have different from your initial pregnancy? We are going to be followed by a peri and do LDA.
What other things did you do? Vitamins? Diet? Exercise? Etc?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”