subsequent pregnancy after a loss

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kbunsey

Re: subsequent pregnancy after a loss

Postby kbunsey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 07:53 pm

I like the one thing a week deal. I actually did that in preg #2. I bought one baby item each week baby was alive - starting pretty early on in preg #2. At first it was my secret stash of baby items tht I kept hidden in a closet - b/c I felt a little crazy for doing it - but I finally confessed to my hubby and therapist and they said it sounded like a good idea. I did have a lot of angst around shower planning and even in preg # 3 had some issues about having another girl (lost a girl in preg #1) so I lied to people for months saying I didn't know if baby was a boy or girl - eventhough I'd known since vey early on w/ all my U/S.

My suggestion is to be gentle with yourself with however you are getting through and with whatever you are doing. It isn't easy being pregnant again after Preeclampsia and a loss and whatever it takes - is what it takes to get through. You'll sort it all out in your own time - and it may take a long time. And sometimes stuff sneaks up on you when you least expect it. I didn't expect to have severe PPD after preg #2, but I did and now know it was realted to so much leftover from preg #1. I had Kyle in the fall and in the following June I was filled with rage that was leaking out all over. It is hard to predict and plan - especially when you factor in the hormones that can make a woman feel crazy under normal pregnancy circumstances. OK, now I'm rambling.

It sounds to me like you are doing well. Try not to judge yourself and do what feels right for you!
Katie, married to Doug. Mom to Fiona Elizabeth, stillborn June 21, 2008 @ 26w; Severe Preeclampsia. Loved. Kyle James, born October 29, 2009 @ 39w; Healthy and PE Free!!! Josephine, born Nov.17, 2011 @ 39w; PE free again. Woot!

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 05:47 pm

well, I eventually gave in and started preparing. My therapist and I made a deal that I would work on doing one thing a week to prepare for the baby. This started at 24 weeks ( I am 27 today) so I have not really done much, but I did sew some crib sheets and put together the crib. I am sure I will do even more in the upcoming weeks, but even if I don't at least the baby will have a place to sleep whenever he comes home.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

kbielec

Postby kbielec » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

I have just recently found out that I am pregnant - first thing I told my husband was, we are not buying one thing until they say we can go home from the hospital...so 30 weeks is better than I plan to do! After losing my daughter and having something purchased, it's just one of the hang ups that I have with this pregnancy...I always said to my family, if and when we get pregnant again I want a shower when we are home, that the baby and I can attend and my DH and I will buy what we need when we know we are coming home...guess everyone is different. Hang in there. :)
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox

uncskristy

Postby uncskristy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:58 am

I started buying a few small things after 25 weeks and started on the nursery at 30 weeks. Do it when you comfortable.
Kristy
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005

frogibe

Postby frogibe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 03:32 pm

I think everyone feels differently about buying baby items for another baby after a loss. I started right away at 12 weeks! I couldn't help but be excited! I think we started the room at 20 weeks when we found out the sex. By 28 weeks I had already had my baby shower and I am glad we did because we ended up having our second baby early at 35 weeks. Do everything when you are ready! Babies only need the basics at first anyway!:0)
Jennifer(30) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We added a third baby girl, Amelia born on 4-26-2013 at 36.4 wks. via scheduled c-section. PRE-free!

jean

Postby jean » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 am

I don't think that 30 weeks is too late. We already had a bunch of stuff that we had purchased for our first babe, so I didn't need to go and buy a lot this time...I finally gave in and started getting a few things around 25 weeks or so.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

cmccaffrey

subsequent pregnancy after a loss

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 04:09 am

Those of you who lost babies... when did you feel comfortable starting to set up nurseries and buy things for your newest little ones?

I am 23 weeks and have not bought anything for our baby. We still have a crib and some other baby items from our pregnancy with Mason, but nothing is set up and we have not purchased a car seat or stroller or any other items for this little guy. I am just feeling the pressure, but at the same time I don't feel like I am far enough along to start buying things. I am sure I am crazy. I don't know what to do. I think I am a bit superstitious since the week after our baby shower I went into the hospital with Mason. I have told myself that I am waiting until 30 weeks to get started, but is that too late in the game? Just wondering how you ladies handled these matters.

Thanks.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

Return to “Pregnant Again?”