LDA causing spotting in early pregnancy?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
cmccaffrey

Re: LDA causing spotting in early pregnancy?

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon Aug 24, 639265 8:57 am

I'm on LDA and lovenox. I had a few instances of spotting at the begging of this pregnancy but my doctor never instructed me to discontinue usage. If you spotted in a previous pregnancy and were not taking aspirin, then you could just be the type to spot and it not have anything to do with how thin your blood is, right? I have no clue. I just wanted to say I hope your doctor gets back to you soon so that he can ease your worries.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Mon Aug 24, 639265 8:43 am

Well I havent got ahold of my doctor yet (he has been in surgery all day) to see if I should stop the lda based on my homocystine levels. So I am still taking it, and frankly I am uncomfortable with not taking it even if he says i shouldnt but he is the doctor. The spotting is just a little every day, not too much, not even as much as my pregnancy with DD, it hasnt picked up at all and some days I dont even have it so I feel a little more comfortable that it isnt getting worse.
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Aug 23, 639265 10:24 pm

Since LDA is a blood thinner, it can cause spotting - and so could any of the injectibles - just by making you more prone to bleed from the area of the uterus that the invading placental cells are eroding.

How is it today?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mommy2maddie

LDA causing spotting in early pregnancy?

Postby mommy2maddie » Sat Aug 01, 639265 11:05 am

Hello everyone! I am 5 weeks 5 days pregnat after suffering a miscarriage at 5 1/2 weeks in May. I have had slight spotting with this pregnancy, which I had with my miscarriage and my first pregnancy with my DD. After many tests when I was pregnant with my DD it was discovered that I had MTHFR and i was started on the folate and lda right away which stopped the bleeding almost instantly. I was still taking all those things when I got pregnant with DS and I never bled with him. I spotted early on with my miscarriage, and I started spotting early on this time to (which is so terrifying after the miscarriage) and I am still on lda and folate. I had an OB appt to check everything last week, and we seen a gestational sac on ultrasound measuring 5 weeks, which is a couple days behind. My doctor said that he feels everything is looking okay because it is measuring fine and I spotted with my DD. He ordered a blood test to check my homocystine levels because he believes that the lda could be making me spot. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? It is just weird that with my DD the lda stopped the spotting but now he believes that it is causing me to spot. Could this spotting and my previous miscarriage be a sign that maybe I need something stronger than lda, like lovenox? Any help is greatly apperciated!
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

Return to “Pregnant Again?”