Anterior placenta

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
hols537

Re: Anterior placenta

Postby hols537 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:05 pm

I also had an anterior placenta with my second pregnancy, which I did not have PreE in. I never noticed anything different about it, but was told that I might feel less movement because of it.
Holly
DS 1 - 2/26/07 (32 weeks, Severe PE, IUGR, Oligo)
DS 2 - 9/13/08 (38 weeks, Folgard, Lovenox, 17P, No PE)

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 07:39 pm

In both preg #2 and #3 I had anterior-facing placentas. That's what you have, right? Both of those pregnancies were healthy/normal w/ good placentas. The only thing was not feeling the babies move as early b/c placenta is inbetween baby and belly wall and that was frustrating for me in preg # b/c I was already a nervous wreck.

Best wishes!
Katie, married to Doug. Mom to Fiona Elizabeth, stillborn June 21, 2008 @ 26w; Severe Preeclampsia. Loved. Kyle James, born October 29, 2009 @ 39w; Healthy and PE Free!!! Josephine, born Nov.17, 2011 @ 39w; PE free again. Woot!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 08:34 pm

I had one this time. Placentas can move up if they're low lying, but they can't move from front to back. if it's near your CS incision, they'll check it more carefully.

The only real problem (if you want to call it that) is that the placenta makes it harder to get an FHR trace, so NSTs can be tricky. I had to do all of mine tilted to one side. Also, it can make the baby posterior, but that only matters for a vaginal delivery.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I also had an anterior placenta this last pregnancy. It never moved, as far as I know, and didn't cause any problems. I never had a minute of trouble from my bp this time, either. And I had a successful VBAC! So I wish you the best :)
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 09:46 pm

Most likely I will get a c-section too... I am hoping my doctor is like Jean's and almost insists on a vbac, but I just don't see that happening. Glad to know I am not unusual and that you didn't develop preE with an anterior placenta. I'm trying to not freak out.....
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Wed Nov 23, 2011 07:02 pm

I had an anterior placenta with Luke. My OB tells me that it typically will move out of the way. If it doesn't, it may block the cervix and you might get placenta previa, requiring a C-Section. Mine stayed anterior but did not develop previa. It really didn't matter to me because I was going to have a C-Section no matter what.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

cmccaffrey

Anterior placenta

Postby cmccaffrey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 00:55 am

I am 27 weeks and found out at my last appointment that I have an anterior placenta. I don't know why I never thought to ask before, but for some reason it popped into my head to inquire about it. Does anyone know of any statistics about PreE and anterior placentas? In my last pregnancy I developed PreE pretty early on and did not have anterior. Also, should I be concerned about any other possible complications?

I also wanted to showcase a photo from my last ultrasound. Although he is breech and wouldn't turn all the way and pose for the ultrasound, we did found out our Little man is measuring about 2 lbs 1 oz and my unilateral notching seems to have normalized somewhat. My blood pressure has gotten higher, but it is still within normal range (110-120/70ish). All in all I feel pretty good, just getting more and more nervous about nearing the 30 week marker since that's when I had my c-section and lost our baby.

Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

Return to “Pregnant Again?”