Spilling protein

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
wrennie

Re: Spilling protein

Postby wrennie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 08:06 pm

no problem, hang in there! I dont know your experiences with PE previously. I had severe PE and HELP during my first pregnancy and lost my baby. Its thought that i may have had kidney damage then, and thats why I spill protein even at base. Just make sure you keep on your doctor, suggest more 24 hour tests so they can keep an eye on that. And, measuring your BP at home is a great way to keep yourself in check(reassured), also watching for sudden weight gain by weighing yourself. Just know that its possible to have elevated protein and not have full blown issues....infact i think its more of the *least* concerning sign....a sign nonetheless though, so being proactive is necessary!
Carin (34)
Mommy to an angel, Elodie (November 2007 31 weeks stillborn due to placental abruption, PE/HELP) and to a miracle, Aylah (January 2009, PE with 9 weeks hospital bedrest)
m/c March 2011
Expecting number 3, a boy, late March 2012!
PE/HELP survivor

rhodges

Postby rhodges » Sat Jan 28, 2012 06:06 pm

Ok thank you! This has been the only 24 hour urine I've had to do....so it really is my baseline. My bp continues to run normally and I've had no swelling yet at 26 weeks. I'm trying to think positive thoughts and will do the same for you.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 02:33 pm

sorry to hear about your protein. Have you ever done a baseline check? Just wondering. My baseline, at 10 weeks, is 308. So, when i turned 28 weeks and did a 24 hr test and it was 579 the doc realized it was up, but not as alarming as it would be if we hadnt done the baseline test. I am 31 weeks and so far bouncing btwn 570s and 670s, doing weekly tests. Try not to freak out. With my second, i had consistent 900 levels, no bp issues, or weird blood issues and made it to term. Im hoping it goes the same this time. Constant, close monitoring is the key, keep asking for it from your doctor!
Carin (34)
Mommy to an angel, Elodie (November 2007 31 weeks stillborn due to placental abruption, PE/HELP) and to a miracle, Aylah (January 2009, PE with 9 weeks hospital bedrest)
m/c March 2011
Expecting number 3, a boy, late March 2012!
PE/HELP survivor

libby123

Postby libby123 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:36 pm

First of all, congratulations on getting to 24 weeks and viability!

Have you been getting normal readings at home? Its amazing how blood pressure can change while at the doctors office, mine always, always is much higher there and I do monitor at home too.

I can understand your concern about the protein, but it isn't offically pre-eclampsia yet so hopefully it will stay nice and low.

It is so frustrating, because there isn't much you can do :*( I remember the helplessness so well. Keep us updated on any changes and I am praying for the best for you!
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

hypergirl_trlee

Postby hypergirl_trlee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:23 am

No advice but just wanted to offer a little encouragement. At least your doctor sounds like she's being very pro-active which is great!

rhodges

Spilling protein

Postby rhodges » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 am

I went to the doctor on Friday for my 24 week checkup. Everything looked good with the baby. My bp was high there, but I also brought my home blood pressure cuff and received high readings while at the office using it. This assured both my doctor and I that the normal readings I have been getting at home are accurate using that cuff. She ordered a 24 hour protein test which I did over the weekend. She said she wanted that baseline information. I have been feeling so good that I felt confident that my results would be good. The called yesterday and said I was spilling extra protein at 325. I know this is not good. They told me to keep monitoring by blood pressure and call them if it goes up but just to continue as normal. I feel really down about this and just plain scared for the baby and myself. Any words of wisdom or encouragement???

Return to “Pregnant Again?”