Preeclampsia epidemic

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Preeclampsia epidemic

Postby cmccaffrey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:55 pm

Okay... not really a relavent question for this board, but I thought someone might be able to shed some light for me.

I am a member of a birth board on another website and it seems like every day another woman is diagnosed with preeclampsia and/or delivered because of preeclampsia. This has been happening since super early on and there have probably been 50 different deliveries in my group alone (group is only for women who's children are due February 2012). It seems like a pretty high number of women are being diagnosed; more than the percentage of women who are thought to develop preeclampsia. Do you think it's poor diagnosis or are doctors becoming more aware of preeclampsia and able to intervene more? Don't get me wrong... I am so glad to see so many crisises averted, but it's just so weird that I knew absolutely NO one before who had been preeclamptic and now everyone seems to be getting that diagnosis.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story...

Return to “Pregnant Again?”