2nd time around Preeclampsia or NOT???

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
caitinv

Re: 2nd time around Preeclampsia or NOT???

Postby caitinv » Tue Feb 21, 2012 03:31 pm

I had pre eclampsia first time. Was very swollen and feeling wrecked all along. after 30 weeks really started to swell and from 32 weeks BP slowly climbing but normal still. At 36 weeks BP very high, i was REALLY swollen and my protein was up. Hospitalised and they kept me in until 37 weeks and induced me that day as 37 weeks is considered term.Had no meds. BP and protein stayed up whole time and after dd1 arrived it stayed high for a few weeks so they put me on something to bring it down.

2nd time I wasnt given any medication at all. was different i felt better overall and didnt swell as much at all. at 38-39 weeks i felt a bit 'keyed up' and noticed some slight swelling but thought it was just late pregnancy and warm weather. But at my check that week at 39+3, BP was high again and protein was +1 so i was induced within hours. So i'm not sure if that actually qualifies as Pre e second time around or not.....
Irish Mummy to daughter Fia, 6 years. pre e at 36 weeks, induced at 37 weeks.
and daughter Luisne aged almost 2 years, pre e at 39 weeks, induced at 39 weeks.
Daughter Éile 11 months old, pre e at 36 weeks, induced at 37

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 01:53 pm

Chances of getting it again depend a lot on how early you developed PE in the first pregnancy, and there's very little evidence at all for any lifestyle or drug interventions. Sorry. :)

The thinking is that the remodeling of the spiral arteries by the first placenta improves the depth to which any subsequent placentas implant, plus possibly the fetal cells from the first pregnancy contribute to downregulating the maternal immune response to new placentas. We've had posters throw the book at subsequent pregnancies and get sick at the same gestational age, and posters do nothing and go to term. It's incredibly unpredictable because it's so dependent on the unique DNA of each placenta.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

marialynn242

Postby marialynn242 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 09:06 am

I had my son at 26 weeks due to elevated liver enzymes but not diagnosed with hellp just severe pre- e I started having symtoms around 24 weeks but the dr didnt notice until I gained about 25 lbs in 2 weeks.

This time around I have a reg ob but he works with the mfm's in the hospital and he is very knowlegble I started baby asprin before conception as well as folic acid, calcium, and reg prenatals. Im currently 33 weeks and doing well no bp spikes or protein issues so im hoping to make it to 38 weeks when my csection will be scheduled.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:39 am

exactly, i am hetero MTHFR (which is actually really common) and thats the reason for the folgard!
Carin (34)
Mommy to an angel, Elodie (November 2007 31 weeks stillborn due to placental abruption, PE/HELP) and to a miracle, Aylah (January 2009, PE with 9 weeks hospital bedrest)
m/c March 2011
Expecting number 3, a boy, late March 2012!
PE/HELP survivor

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 08:31 pm

Folgard is one brand name drug for a prescription strength complex of folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. I think the breakdown is 2.5 mg, 25 mg, 1 mg. MTHFR is one condition where a person might not metabolize folic acid as well, so that's why I take it.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.

sarahkm

Postby sarahkm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 am

What is folgard? I'm TTC and will be put on LDA and maybe lovenox. Thanks. Sarah
Sarah (43)
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Miscarriage 12/2011
Elias Nathanael born healthy 07/28/2013 at 37 weeks 2 days, 5#11oz. No signs of HELLP or preeclampsia! Tear noticed in placenta after delivery.
Expecting again (another boy!), due date 10/17/2015 but will be induced around September 25. No concerns at this time other than low iron. On low dose aspirin, iron infusions, vitamins, metoprolol, Vitamin D.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 07:28 pm

hey there,
i had severe PE and HELP with my first, i lost her at 31 weeks, and so it started sometime before then.

With my second, i was clinically diagnosed with PE at 29 weeks b/c of elevated protein. I made it to 38 weeks, no bp issues, no HELP. This pregnancy i took baby asprin and folgard, also hospital bedrests 29 weeks on.

Third pregnancy, i am spilling protein started around 28 weeks, but is stable. not being called PE. this pregnancy is also baby asprin and folgard, with home bedrest since 29 weeks.

hope that helps!
Last edited by wrennie on Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carin (34)
Mommy to an angel, Elodie (November 2007 31 weeks stillborn due to placental abruption, PE/HELP) and to a miracle, Aylah (January 2009, PE with 9 weeks hospital bedrest)
m/c March 2011
Expecting number 3, a boy, late March 2012!
PE/HELP survivor

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 am

I did not have preeclampsia in my last pregnancy like I did in my... I gave birth on Wednesday. I did have low amniotic fluid levels in the end, which is why I was delivered a little early at 38 weeks 3 days, but no high blood pressure or protein in the urine like in my pregnancy that ended at 30 weeks 3 days. Anyways, I changed the level of health care in this pregnancy. I saw an MFM and OB regularly. I also took aspirin pre-conception to 34 weeks and I took lovenox/heparin until delivery. I maintained a healthy and active life style throughout my entire pregnancy by running, walking and taking prenatal yoga classes all the way until the day of delivery. I don't know what worked the best, but I think it was probably a combination of everything.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

kmokashi

2nd time around Preeclampsia or NOT???

Postby kmokashi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 09:06 am

Hi all,

This is a question for those who had preeclampsia with one pregnancy and it occurred with a 2nd pregnancy. Here are my questions:

1) What treatment was DIFFERENT for you in the 2nd pregnancy (.e. baby aspirin, Lovoxol, etc.)
2) Did preeclampsia come earlier, same time, or later in the subsequent pregnancy?
3) Was the preeclampsia more severe, the same, or more mild?
4) What other differences were there?

** For those who had another pregnancy and DID NOT have preeclampsia- what was different and what do you think contributed to escaping it the 2nd time around!!

I am trying to get more information from personal experiences, since I know there is no official research, except that one's odds of getting it again, are very high!

Thank you!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”