24 weeks & 5 days...should they be doing more?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ssaunders

Re: 24 weeks & 5 days...should they be doing more?

Postby ssaunders » Tue Feb 28, 2012 03:03 pm

Switch doctors! always trust your gut. I didn't with my first. I listened when my crack head doctor said "thats normal." Well I ended up in ICU for a couple of days. My doctor now is just AMAZING. Last week my bp was 138/88 and she wants me to start coming in weekly to keep an eye on it. I am 25 weeks. I go tomorrow. My bp has been good at home. I am nervous about going up there though because I have been seeing spots. No swelling though.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Feb 17, 2012 05:56 pm

Was thinking of you and your lil' one today. I hope to hear that you are still cookin' along and that they were able to get your bp under control.

Best,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

mychaelelaine

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 pm

I 100% agree with sage1! I delivered my baby @ almost 24 weeks. Had I been admitted, I believe we would've had a diff outcome. My baby was stillborn. My bp never went below 170/110 and I was discharged. Delivered 4 days later. I don't mean 2 scare you but things can progress very rapidly. Please force someone to monitor you more closely.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)

sage1

Postby sage1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 08:26 pm

I experienced severe pre eclampsia a little over 24 wks .. I had gone to my Dr. on a Monday to complain of my severely swollen feet ... He took a look said your fine sent me back to work . I worked the next couple days .. I am a CNA -hard work! Thursday night I couldn't stand my aching feet so I called into work Friday I laid down all day elevating my feet ... Saturday I kinda felt like I couldn't breath but eventually fell alseep to nap and didn't think much of it later ... Sunday I went grocery shopping and suddenly the WORST headache I've ever had came on ... Mainly in the front of my head .. I rushed home immediately, laid down but it never got better . Then I started throwing up .. my sister came over and took me to the ER where I was admitted, started on mag etc. It was horrible !!! Well eventually I was flowen out by helicopter to a bigger hospital where I had an emergency c-section my baby boy did not survive due to IUGR ..
If your Dr. is ignoring you go get a second and third opinion !!!! It's worth all the hassle for that lil miracle in you !!!!!
My Dr. ignored everything I told him the ringing in my ear, my swollen hands and I got all this around 5 months. I hate myself for not doing more for my son !! I see his precious lil face everyday ...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Please keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

libby123

Postby libby123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 09:51 pm

Teresa,

So sorry you are having to go through this. I hope everything checks out okay at LD. Let us know how things go.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

Teresa1234

Postby Teresa1234 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 03:58 pm

Thank you ALL! I knew I didn't have this feeling for no reason at all. I checked my bp again last night before bed (and after taking my upped does of bp meds) and it was 150/113. My heart started pounding at the thought of going to bed and not waking up due to that pressure. So, I woke my fiance and had him take a warm bath with me. After I got out and checked again, it was 142/98 (which is what it normally is in the dr office).

I just checked my pressure again and it is an alarming 159/116...after taking it 3 times in a row, there was little to no change. I called my dr office straight away and asked to speak to a nurse. The receptionist replied (I can have a nurse call you in the morning). I replied "My blood pressure is 159/116 and I need this to be reported to my dr." She said "Okay, your dr will be here in the morning and I will leave a note in her folder". I just hung up because I was so frustrated. My fiance will be home @ 5 and he is going to take me to labor and delivery.

Oh, a nurse just called from my dr office and told me to go straight to labor and delivery! DUH! Anyways, I will let you all know how it goes. Thank you all again so much for your support. There is a lot more I want to respond to and I will when I am able.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 am

Try www.smfm.org to find an MFM - search by state. I *really* don't like those pressure readings. Don't hesitate to head in for a once-over at the drop of a hat, because no pregnant woman should be walking around with numbers like that! Pregnancy relaxes the vasculature; you should be just coming off the second-tri dip at your gestational age.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

kmokashi

Postby kmokashi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Your gut is telling you what you need to do. You are having classic signs of initial preeclampsia and as MANY people on this forum have posted, it CAN happen at 24 weeks. You need to see either ANOTHER doctor, or go to L & D, or the ER if your blood pressure does not go down. This is nothing to be cautious about and worse case, an extra trip to the doctor/hospital.

As my doctor has told me, they can treat the high blood pressure, but once the protein starts spilling in the urine, your time will be limited.

Just my 2 cents worth- it is better to be safe than sorry!

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Feb 13, 2012 05:36 pm

Oy! I'm so sorry to hear of all the symptoms you are having, especially so early on, and while sure more rare, why your doctor wouldn't be uber concerned is concerning. I second the thoughts of others that requesting a referral to a MFM is critical, or at the very least be monitored much much much more frequently. Are you starting or have you started weekly 24 hour catches?

I would also ask for a minimum that your doctor would want you to be in L&D. I forget what ours was, but our MFM gave us strict orders, your BP reaches XX/XX amount, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200, you go to L&D.

Sending low bp vibes your way!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

Return to “Pregnant Again?”