21 weeks + 5, and now I decide to start worrying

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

21 weeks + 5, and now I decide to start worrying

Postby crocusgirl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:18 pm

I am pregnant with our 2nd (another wee girl) and I hit 22 weeks on Wednesday. With my first pregnancy at age 34, I had severe PE (diagnosed at 31 weeks) and HELLP, and had Violet at 32 weeks (IUGR, weighed 2.5 lb.) in April 2010. Both of us are fine - I was off BP meds in 6 weeks, and she was out of the NICU in 5 weeks with no lasting issues.

I am now 35 (36 in July) and due July 11. Being seen once a month by an MFM at our hospital's PE clinic. I am on low-dose aspirin and so far, my blood pressure has been fine. I tend to be on the low side, and so far, so good. However, at my 20 week appointment, that blasted arterial notching was still there. Doctor says it can straighten out by 24 weeks...and I am trying to be hopeful. Next appointment and scan is March 19.

I have been very calm and relaxed thus far, but now I am starting to get more anxious as I get closer to "viability". I am just really scared of having a micro-preemie, and every time I feel even the slightest bit "odd", I am starting to worry. I don't think I have looked at my feet this much in my entire life (my feet started with the swelling and it made it's way to my face the day I was diagnosed). Just trying to stay calm and work my way past 32 weeks...

Just needed to vent a little. Now to convince myself NOT to buy the reagant strips to test my urine. :)
crocusgirl

Re: 21 weeks + 5, and now I decide to start worrying

Postby kerisue » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

After experiencing severe preeclampsia and having a 2.5 lb. preemie it's totally natural for you to worry. Stressing yourself out unnecessarily won't be helpful, but you're right to be paying close attention to your body and your symptoms. I hope the notches go away and hypertension and pe leave you and baby #2 alone!
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 07:41 am

i'm only 7 weeks, experienced severe pe and hellp, and delivered my daughter mychael stillborn in october. it's interesting how different our fears are. i think once i get past 30 weeks i'll worry about delivering him/her prematurely. right now, i just want my baby to survive! i'll take him/her 2 pounds, 3 pounds, whatever. lol. something i realized yesterday (after worrying and going to er to make sure everything is okay due to bleeding) is that worrying does not help. we all just have to do our best to stay healthy, attend dr's meetings, rest, relax, and pray! you are in my thoughts and prayers.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby crocusgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:47 pm

Thanks for the support. I know I just need to chill out and take this as it comes. I think my problem is that I now KNOW what can happen after having gone through it once and my brain keeps thinking about the swelling, the constant peeing in cups for every doctor and nurse, the mag sulfate and the emergency c-section, the 5 weeks in the NICU...okay, I just need to stop it. I did dig out Violet's little clothes to sort through...and even though the things she had in the very beginning were oh-so-tiny, they are so darn cute. Must focus the positive...March 19 may bring no more notching!

7 weeks along hey? How are you feeling so far?
Severe PE/HELLP - diagnosed 31 weeks, Violet born 32 weeks - April 23, 2010 - 2.5 lb (IUGR). 5 weeks in NICU, home and going strong.
crocusgirl

Return to Pregnant Again?