Starting LDA a couple weeks later?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Starting LDA a couple weeks later?

Postby angieb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:07 am

With my second pregnancy, my MFM had me start LDA with a positive test, and lovenox was started around 7 weeks after confirming a heartbeat (and it took the pharmacy a few days to get it in.)

So...I just got a *very faint* + test. I am only like 3 weeks x days. (We were trying but not really expecting much since it took a year and a half to conceive the first time and 9 months (6 of those with fertility treatments) to conceive Lucas.) He is almost 10.5 months and still breastfeeding. I am more than ready to wean him but would rather do it gradually over a couple of weeks instead of all at once cold turkey. I have read mixed information on breastfeeding while on blood thinners and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the idea- I am pretty sure neither of my doctors are going to be comfortable with the idea at all (although Dr.Hale indicates that low dose aspirin and lovenox are most likely safe to take while bf'ing.) Do you think it would make a huge difference to start LDA at 6ish weeks vs. now?
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Re: Starting LDA a couple weeks later?

Postby danielsmom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

How exciting! I bet that + is going to darken in the days to come.

A close friend of mine was advised to take lda while breastfeeding and her doctors danced around the question of it being safe or not. There is a small risk of Reyes syndrome should your baby develop a virus. I sent a facebook message to my lactation consultant, who was a NICU nurse for 25+ years, and for the last 10+ years she's been working out of the NICU, but had focused on lactation consulting. She's VERY knowledgable. Here's what she passed along for my friend:

" I say take 81 mg aspirin but make pediatrician aware and watch baby closely for viral infections. Benefits of milk esp. this time of year outweigh risks of aspirin. We send some babies home on aspirin. "

Good luck!
Kristi
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Postby angieb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks! And thank you for the info!

I went ahead and called our pediatrician and stumped the nurse than the pedi (well, he said he wanted to ponder it and research it more and will get back to me later.) If he thinks it's okay then I'll probably start taking it now, if not, I may try to wait a couple weeks to make sure the pregnancy is viable and more gradually wean.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
angieb

Postby heather j » Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:10 pm

Congratulations! I have two angles for you. When Oliver was conceived, we'd been trying for awhile, and it wasn't happening. We decided to stop and just see what happened. I'm supposed to take LDA outside of pregnancy as well as during, and I wasn't taking it (I'd stopped when we stopped TTC). Anyway, I had some symptoms, took a test, and got an immediate positive at about 3 weeks and a couple of days. I started LDA right then. The second thought is that I took LDA and used Lovenox while breastfeeding. The lovenox was during the first six weeks only, though (however, this is when baby is eating most frequently, too). I cleared this with my MFM, my IBCLC, and Oliver's pediatrician. Everyone gave it the okay.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:22 pm

Thanks Heather!

So my OB said it was fine, our pedi thought about it awhile and came up with "eh, I don't feel great about it since there's not a lot of research" (I think they mostly don't want the liability of telling me outright that it's okay..but didn't want to say outright to wean either.) That is good to know about lovenox too because I will be starting that next after we confirm a heartbeat at the end of March, by then I had hoped to have him fully weaned (though this weaning thing is not going great right now, I wish my milk would start drying up or something to help force it, b/c right now I try to give him a bottle first and he just gets mad, but will take one from DH no problem.) Anyway, he's 10.5 months now and we are DEFINITELY DEFINITELY weaning at the year mark if we haven't already by then, so at least his exposure to it will be relatively short-term. Though I really wish I could get him to take more bottles, right now he gets mad and I don't have the willpower (especially early in the morning/late at night) to "fight" over it.
Me (29) DH (30)
angieb

Postby julieb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 01:19 pm

I am not sure about the LDA, but I was also on Lovenox for 6 weeks postpartum while breastfeeding my daughter. All of my doctors knew about it and no one was concerned, and she is a beautiful and healthy almost 2 year old :) Good luck!
Mason 5/17/07 28w6d 1lb 10oz Severe PE and IUGR
Makenna 4/24/10 36w1d 4lb 8oz PIH but no PE!!! (On Lovenox, Labetalol, Folic Acid and Synthroid)
#3 due 3/10/13...Lovenox, LDA, Labetalol, Synthroid and Folic Acid...praying for another PE free pregnancy!
julieb

Postby flori » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Angie, I tried to login like 10x last night so I could say congratulations! :)

Sorry I have no idea about the thread topic.. just excited for you.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby mom41 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 06:21 am

Congratulations ! Hopefully by now your pg test shows strong // ! And maybe even a decision on lda.. In my case my MFM and OB wanted me to wait for the positive heartbeat to start lda and Lovenox. But my indications to stat both were not strong because my tests ( coagulation deficits/thrombophilia) and autoimmune work up was essentially negative after the pre-e pregnancy. See if you can get all 3 doctors on agree on one thing :)
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)
mom41

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 01:39 pm

Congrats! so excited for you!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby angieb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 02:15 pm

Thanks!

I did start LDA and am still nursing, weaning is not going so great, I am hoping my milk dries up soon so DS has no choice. (Not really weaning so much because of the lovenox/aspirin but because I would like a few months "off" and we have a deep freezer full of breastmilk that needs to get used soon.)

We aren't doing betas this time right now since I got pregnant the easy way and all indications are that everything is progressing well. I know that I am in for plenty of needles and bloodwork anyway so I can do without them for now. (I am limiting myself to one HPT a day until I run out, so far they've all gotten progressively darker and my symptoms have come early and strong.) First ultrasound is March 26th when I'll be about 6.5 weeks, expecting to see a heartbeat and then start lovenox.(Blech, while I am looking forward to the ultrasound, not looking forward to lovenox again, so I'm trying to enjoy these last few weeks without it.) Thanks to your comments about breastfeeding while on lovenox, I'm not too worried about weaning by the time I start it (although I would love for him to be weaned by then if it works out!)
Me (29) DH (30)
angieb

Return to Pregnant Again?