When do you start lookin @ Premie clothes?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
momof4as

Re: When do you start lookin @ Premie clothes?

Postby momof4as » Sun Mar 11, 2012 01:24 pm

lol after the news this morning they wont be boring, I have to get motivated and get my family going on packing!!!
Joy and DH-Ron
Mom of 4 A's
Andre'-14, Amber 9,
Aidyn 1, born at 35 weeks due to PE
Aeryn due 6/8 diagnosed with PE again.

laughinggirl127

Postby laughinggirl127 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 am

Well we bought one outfit the other day that was preemie. I probably would have bought a couple of more if baby had cooperated during the ultrasound to see what they are besides healthy. My nicu put them in clothes once they were out of the incubator. So she wore clothes for 3 weeks before coming home. They put her in t shirts and then a onsie, footed outfit over tshirt. They also used her blankets as such. Since we weren't able to be there every day they also had a washing machine to wash clothes and personals on the unit so they didn't get lost. I have been like other posters and kinda hesitant as I want to make sure we have a baby to bring home. It seems silly to others that haven't had these problems. Our goal is just to make it to 33 weeks and everything after that is just a bonus. Hope you get another 10 long boring weeks.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:53 am

I have a couple outfits in her bag and her "soft blankie" as my daughter calls it, the outfits are 0-3 and I think one is newborn, but wasnt sure if they should be warm or cool or whatever...

Are the babies allowed to have their own blankets and stuff in NICU?

Aidyn though early he didnt go to NICU although he needed to, he was in PICU at 3 days old,,,
Joy and DH-Ron
Mom of 4 A's
Andre'-14, Amber 9,

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 09:20 pm

Wal-mart has a large selection of preemie clothes so someone can run in and buy a few outfits if you end up needing them. No need to plan or get things ahead. We actually stopped by on our way to the hospital to have our 3rd discharged (I already had her coming home outfit washed & at the hospital). She's 4 now and my girls use her preemie clothes on their build-a-bears. Seeing how itty bitty those clothes it's hard to believe she ever fit in them!!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

mom41

Postby mom41 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 07:25 pm

I agree that buying baby stuff is a personal choice- we have to do whatever we are comfortable with during our subsequent, nerve-racking, emotional pregnancy.
I decided not to buy anything, until I hit 34 weeks.
Daniels mom it amazes me how well son did after being born so early and so teeny tiny. He was the size of my twin girls.. Hope your swelling is gone.
Momof4_ Good luck with peri and neuro appointments next week !
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Sat Mar 10, 2012 07:13 pm

thank you.... I'm 27 2 now and am hoping to make it to 32 but no guarantees especially with the way I've been feeling....

I see perinatology tuesday, and my neuro on wed. never know what its going to bring...
Joy and DH-Ron
Mom of 4 A's
Andre'-14, Amber 9,

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Sat Mar 10, 2012 06:20 pm

It depends on you. Some people would have more peace of mind getting a few things washed and ready. Then some might get anxiety from that.

When I had my son at 27w5d, clothes were the furthest thing from our minds. A friend of mine brought me two micro preemie outfits (shirts and hats) that she ordered off the internet. It was the most thoughtful thing. I never knew they made such a thing. They had snaps strategically placed down the middle and on the shoulders for leads or whatever. It was so comforting to see my little boy in his first clothes... sort of a first sense of normalcy. My little boy, not a science experiment, as bad as that sounds. Later I mounted them in his baby book next to pictures of him wearing them. People cannot believe how tiny he was.

I don't advise that you run out and get these now, but keep it in the back of your mind that there is such a thing. And that it might be comforting seeing your little one in things that you own and can keep as keepsakes for later.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Sat Mar 10, 2012 03:41 pm

I have clothes but no preemie, I fight myself not to get any...

Thank you for the input...
Joy and DH-Ron
Mom of 4 A's
Andre'-14, Amber 9,

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 02:55 pm

I understand what Angie is saying. I had the morbid thoughts in an opposite way... I didn't want to have to deal with any of the baby things if we were to lose Noah too. Once I hit 30 weeks I did buy one preemie outfit just in case as well and thankfully we didn't need it and I just donated it(and a bunch of other stuff) to the NICU yesterday. We were able to reuse all of our other baby stuff because we had another boy. Really it's not wrong either way. If you think you need some preemie clothes, you should get some.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 02:27 pm

We bought a few preemie boys clothes (knowing that best case scenario- we were having a 36 weeker) as soon as we found out the gender with DS about 16 weeks (even after having a previous loss.) I needed it to kind of get me in the mindframe of having a boy after losing our daughter, and because (this is kinda morbid), I thought that even if we did lose DS too, I wanted to have some "stuff" for him, just like we have a few things that were meant for our daughter. Anyway, even though he was a 36 weeker, he was 7.4 lbs- some of the preemie clothes fit for the first couple weeks and a lot of it didn't. The stuff that was too small, we just donated that to the infant loss support staff at the hospital later, I definitely did not regret buying any it. But I can understand the "wait" mindset also.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

Return to “Pregnant Again?”