Post Reply FAQ Members Login

When is heartburn just heartburn?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

When is heartburn just heartburn?

Postby crocusgirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 03:46 pm

by crocusgirl (26 Posts), Mon Mar 12, 2012 03:46 pm

I am 22 + 5 (previous severe PE/HELLP, diagnosed at 31, c-section at 32) and the last 10 days to 2 weeks, I have had what I think is minor heartburn on and off. It's just a very, very mild "burn" sensation at the centre of my upper chest, lower throat. I do take the odd Tums, and it seems to help. This is probably just preggo heartburn, right?

I am taking extra care to note any symptoms, just in case. I am nice and paranoid this time around, since I know what can happen.
Severe PE/HELLP - diagnosed 31 weeks, Violet born 32 weeks - April 23, 2010 - 2.5 lb (IUGR). 5 weeks in NICU, home and going strong.
crocusgirl

Re: When is heartburn just heartburn?

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:02 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:02 pm

Probably... :D but of course we can't diagnose!

These subsequent pregnancies are so nerve wracking that one of our former mods used to say she would gestate in the hospital if she could. Have they done baseline labs on you so you'll know if there are small changes?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I had heartburn and HELLP together, and they felt pretty different to me. I didn't worry when the heartburn responded to Tums. I started to worry a little when I had to resort to Zantac, and I should have called my doctor when the Zantac stopped doing anything.
Caryn's suggestion of running baseline labs sounds like a good idea to me. As always, call your doctor if you feel worse or different. Heartburn doesn't make you feel like you have the flu, give you a terrible headache, cause swelling, bruising, or visual changes, etc.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby crocusgirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 pm

by crocusgirl (26 Posts), Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah, I figured it was nothing...just my paranoia. :)

My next MFM appointment is Monday, when I will have another scan, and do the BP and urine check. If I still have arterial notching, I will probably have all the baseline stuff done. I know if it's still there, I am going to be seen by the MFM every two weeks, with the OB-GYN in there too.
Severe PE/HELLP - diagnosed 31 weeks, Violet born 32 weeks - April 23, 2010 - 2.5 lb (IUGR). 5 weeks in NICU, home and going strong.
crocusgirl

Postby laughinggirl127 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 00:47 am

by laughinggirl127 (75 Posts), Wed Mar 14, 2012 00:47 am

Ok well now I am confused. Somehow I missed that heartburn was a sign of pree. I have had terrible heartburn/reflux since conception. I am currently on zantac twice a day, prilosec once a day, and reglan with meals and at bedtime and sometimes it is not enough. When would I need to get concerned that it is more than just heartburn?
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree
laughinggirl127

Postby crocusgirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 01:10 pm

by crocusgirl (26 Posts), Thu Mar 15, 2012 01:10 pm

Hi Laughing,

My heartburn is not like yours - very mild, and taken care of with a Tums. I don't know about anything requiring Zantac or that is persistent and painful. Maybe one of the other ladies has some advice on what PE heartburn feels like?

I see you are due in July - me too. July 11. We'll see if I make it that far. ;)
crocusgirl

Postby tree » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Upper right quadrant (URQ) pain can occur in a similar location as heartburn. Some women have mild URQ that they describe as feeling like heartburn. I had both. The heartburn felt like horrible heartburn. I was regularly taking Zantac, and I tried to hug the doctor who gave me IV reglan before delivery. That all is normal pregnancy stuff, I think. The HELLP related URQ pain felt like someone was prying up my ribs with a crow bar. Nothing helped with that.
Not everyone has severe URQ pain with HELLP, so you might want to watch for other symptoms. Heartburn-like pain could be concerning if you felt much worse (sounds impossible, but imagine the flu on top of the heartburn), experienced visual changes, headaches, facial/hand swelling, protein, etc. Otherwise, I really hope the heartburn mellows out a bit for you.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Upper right quadrant (URQ) pain can occur in a similar location as heartburn. Some women have mild URQ that they describe as feeling like heartburn. I had both. The heartburn felt like horrible heartburn. I was regularly taking Zantac, and I tried to hug the doctor who gave me IV reglan before delivery. That all is normal pregnancy stuff, I think. The HELLP related URQ pain felt like someone was prying up my ribs with a crow bar. Nothing helped with that.
Not everyone has severe URQ pain with HELLP, so you might want to watch for other symptoms. Heartburn-like pain could be concerning if you felt much worse (sounds impossible, but imagine the flu on top of the heartburn), experienced visual changes, headaches, facial/hand swelling, protein, etc. Otherwise, I really hope the heartburn mellows out a bit for you.
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?