First chink in the armor... maybe

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

First chink in the armor... maybe

Postby danielsmom » Thu May 10, 2012 04:16 pm

Our fluid is "subjectively low" as my OB calls it. I've got an AFI of at least 5, so it's okay, but has definitely taken a dip this week. Up until this point I've had big pockets everywhere, now they're small except for one good sized one near the top. BP is high/normal for me at 120/75, and the blood flow looks great. Her growth is also on target. She's kicking and practicing breathing too. Dr. told me to try and be lazy for awhile. He didn't say bedrest.

I'm not freaking out. It's such a blessing to be almost 35 weeks. If I recall correctly, it seems like people make it about 2 weeks on average after they first start mentioning low fluid. I have 3.5 weeks to my C section date. But I know things can move fast too. What concerns me is that my husband is traveling next week to a station that is hard to get in/out of, and the flight is over 3 hours. He doesn't come home until Friday night, and my next appt is Thursday. So I hope we don't have a delivery decision next Thursday without him here.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Re: First chink in the armor... maybe

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu May 10, 2012 05:11 pm

I am going to be crossin' all crossables that this is your one bump... because it just seems impossible (and totally unfair) to be totally bump free and that by next appointment you find that fluid has gone up to a more comfortable level and those pesky pressures behave themselves. 35 weeks is so substantial, but I'll still be keeping everything crossed for that next 3.5 weeks, especially with hubby's travel schedule.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Fri May 11, 2012 08:14 am

Oh bummer!

Are you not going back for another week? I am surprised they aren't following up sooner. Personally, with a level of 5, I'd want to be back in a few days to make sure it's not lower, as that can be an indication of fetal distress. My levels with Lucas were always 10+.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby danielsmom » Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 am

Sorry - It wasn't 5, or close to 5... my OB just mentioned in passing that 5 was the cutoff for having low fluid (which I knew anyway). I still have more than adequate fluid, a nice pocket up top and several all around, but it's not as obviously ideal as we've seen before. So it's a change, but not necessarily out of the normal range yet.
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Postby Shannonlynn » Fri May 11, 2012 08:10 pm

Hang in there. I have faith that things are going to be just fine. Take it easy and rest. Everything sounds good overall. Thinking of you ;)
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Postby JB » Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm glad you're almost 35 weeks! I think you will be able to make it full term. Just try not to worry and take care of yourself. Definitely take it easy and stay hydrated!
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012
JB

Postby angieb » Sat May 12, 2012 04:30 pm

danielsmom wrote:Sorry - It wasn't 5, or close to 5... my OB just mentioned in passing that 5 was the cutoff for having low fluid (which I knew anyway). I still have more than adequate fluid, a nice pocket up top and several all around, but it's not as obviously ideal as we've seen before. So it's a change, but not necessarily out of the normal range yet.

Oh okay! That's better! The baby's position can have a lot to do with how they get fluid levels. There was one day when Luke did so badly at his NST and BPP that they admitted me to the hospital. At my first fluid check (before they admitted me), my fluid level was pretty high, like 18. Several hours later when they checked it, Luke had changed position and there was a different sonographer measuring the levels, and my fluid levels were down to like a 10! (And it was fine, he was fine, just some unnecessary extra drama.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby danielsmom » Sat May 12, 2012 07:20 pm

Oh wow! Do you think his fluid levels were really a 10 with the different sonographer, or was it just a bad measurement? I wonder how position can affect it?

This girl has been head down... well, head waaaaay down for awhile. I about jump off the table when he's got the ultrasound wand down low. He said it's tender because she's sitting right on my pubic bone. I can feel her roll from side to side, but she hasn't flipped around.

I had low fluid with Daniel at 25 weeks. I focused on drinking a whole lot and the next week the fluid was great. I'm trying that, just hoping it will buy me a little more time. It could be the placenta saying "I'm tired." I'm just so glad that the finish line is near anyway.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
danielsmom

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon May 14, 2012 00:59 am

omg! Same thing happened to me. Positioning can REALLY change the AFI levels. I remember on more than one occasion Noah was positioned funny and they got lower numbers, so the doctor would double check and after I changed positions it would change the AFI level. It was weird. The last time they actually were low, even after changing positions a few times, but seriously try sitting up more or getting in a different position. It's worth a shot to get an accurate reading!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby kbielec » Wed May 16, 2012 09:01 am

Hang in there lady...doing great so far. Fingers crossed for you that hubby is home for delivery!
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?