I'm probably the ultrasound queen, which I hated in previous pregnancies because it was always bad news, but I'm loving it now as things are mostly good. At one point this time, my husband stood up and shook my OB's hand and said " good job, this is the first time you've ever really given me good news!" They both laughed and my OB said "BITE ME."
My OB conducts ultrasound with every visit, every patient. Some are more in depth than others, depending on gestation and risk factors. He deals in high risk pregnancies and consults an MFM, but we've not yet needed to see the MFM in this particular pregnancy. So this is just my OB schedule.
- every week from 4-6 weeks with some extra labs in between. Primarily because of recurrent miscarriage, one being ectopic, and suspected luteal phase defect.
- every 2 weeks from 6-12 weeks. Miscarriage risk might have played a role here, also focusing on consistent dating because of previous IUGR.
- every 3 weeks from 12-24 weeks. Most of his patients do every 4 weeks here.
- every 2 weeks from 24-32 weeks. Not every week after previous pre-e gestation @ 27wks because things continued to appear perfect. However, every screen from 24 weeks on looked at blood flow, growth, and fluid levels.
- then every week for the rest of the pregnancy. We're watching low-normal fluid levels now at 36 weeks, so I might go in more frequently as needed.