So far so good! (UPDATED - No Pre-e or HELLP this time!)

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

So far so good! (UPDATED - No Pre-e or HELLP this time!)

Postby CharlotteCake » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 am

My first pregnancy was a bit of a disaster - 8 week ultrasound showed swelling and the docs told us it was a VERY bad sign, but it resolved, then from about 8 weeks to 22 weeks I had sciatica so severe I couldn't walk and had to quit my job, then at 22 w eeks I developed PIH, was put on meds at 26 weeks, at 28 weeks my BP skyrocketed and they quadrupled my med dose to something so high they didn't even manufacture it (had to take two of the second highest dose pills at a time), hospitalized with severe pre-e at 31 and delivered at 32 with an emergency c-section due to HELLP. My baby was born much smaller than anticipated (3 lbs. 2 oz. rather than the almost 4 pounds they expected) and spent a month in the NICU. The scariest part was that they were two hours from sending me home for outpatient care when they discovered the HELLP, and considering how bad it got (lots of petechiae) I really wonder what would have happened if they had sent me home. Pretty much every moment from 8 weeks onward was full of fear. I was extremely grateful that we pulled through okay, though! She's now a 14 month old who is moderately delayed cognitively (still about a 6-8 month level depending on what you're measuring) but physically caught up.

Sadly, our second pregnancy ended in a very early miscarriage, but because it was so early it was overwhelmingly likely that the problem was not with my body and that it would not mean anything as far as future pregnancies.

BUT, this pregnancy has been the complete opposite. I'm 27 weeks today and no problems currrently in sight, not even the minor ones I had last time like heartburn. No PIH, no sciatica, no nothing. I'm 5 weeks past the point where my blood pressure problems developed with my first and although I'm not out of the woods yet, every day that goes by with normal blood pressure and no protein in my urine gives me more hope that I'll at the very least make it to 34 weeks. I just wanted to share my story because hearing about others who had better pregnancies the second time around really gave me the courage to try again. Hopefully I will be able to come back in a few weeks and post about how I made it past the point of delivery for my first baby!
Last edited by CharlotteCake on Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mom to DD #1 (Pre-e 31 weeks, HELLP 32 weeks)
My angel baby (M/C Dec. 2011)
DD #2 (pre-e and HELLP free!)
CharlotteCake

Re: So far so good!

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am

I'm sorry about the scares you had with your daughter but happy you're doing well so far! I'm pretty much the same except my daughter didn't survice. I delivered at only 23 weeks and she was stillborn. :( The pregnancy was so much different than this one. I had a lot of lupus pain (none before I got pregnant for about 2 years due to sugar/flour/wheat free diet) and carpal tunnel syndrome which was horrid. This time around, I'm almost 22 weeks and my blood pressure is perfect. I started to elevate around 17 weeks with my daughter. It's so interesting how one pregnancy can be completely different from another. Anyway, I wish you luck!!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: So far so good! - UPDATE

Postby CharlotteCake » Mon Jul 09, 2012 08:56 pm

I'm SO sorry about your loss, mychaelelaine! I hope your current pregnancy is going better! My mom has lupus that was triggered by her pregnancy with me, and I know how hard a disease it is to live with. :(

Right now, I'm 30w 6d with normal blood pressure, no protein in my urine, but a bit of swelling that the doctors aren't worried about and think is related to our record breaking heat wave this past week (heat index was 116 yesterday! uggh!!). Last pregnancy I was hospitalized with severe preeclampsia at 31w 0d so I'm VERY happy with how things are going right now! It looks like at the very least, I won't end up with preeclampsia any early than I did last time. It's even looking very much like I will make it past the point of delivery with my first baby (32 weeks) and possibly go farther. I'm even starting to dare to think making it to term is possible......after all, it's only 6 weeks away at this point! Unbelievable! When I began this pregnancy I really had little hope that I would get this far without any problems, but here I am.
CharlotteCake

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 00:29 am

I feel the same way, in disbelief that I've gotten this far with absolutely no problems. I've said a prayer for you that all continues to go well. Can't wait to see baby pics!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby knhowell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 06:23 am

Thank you for your post. I have now found out I am 6 weeks pregnant with my second baby and have been trolling the noticeboard for "happy ending stories". I am not yet terrified but think thats because I am still a long way from the 27 weeks I was when I was hospitalised for severe PE.

Congratulations for such a successful second pregnancy, it seems there is hope for me yet :-)
knhowell

Postby leeann34 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 06:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. I lost my first baby to severe PE but found hope to try again as well. I am currently at 27 weeks myself and I know I am not "out of the woods" either but it's a better start than I had with my first pregnancy. I think we can offer hope to those who may be contemplating a second pregnancy after a "not so good" first one.
leeann34

Postby CharlotteCake » Thu Sep 06, 2012 07:54 am

UPDATE!

I am currently 39 weeks 2 days pregnant, and things have been going great so far! The only bump was a 24-hour urine test I took (and passed) a few weeks ago after a urine sample sent to the lab on suspicion of a UTI turned up a little bit. It was probably related to the UTI, though, since it disapeared along with the infection. Now I am just sitting around waiting to go into labor. I am very hopeful that in a few days I will be able to say I had a PE and HELLP-free pregnancy this time! I am still in utter disbelief that I made it this far.
CharlotteCake

Re: So far so good! (UPDATED)

Postby Bmoremama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:03 am

That is great news! Thank you so much for sharing your story.
Bmoremama

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Sep 07, 2012 03:48 pm

Thank you for sharing such good news! Always happy to hear good things!! Keep going and growing!! :)
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby sam10 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 06:48 pm

What great news! Congratulations for making it this far without any issues. Just keep in mind (and watch for symptoms) that PE can hit up to 6 weeks postpartum.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?