Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Induction?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re: Induction?

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:57 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:57 pm

So, what are negatives to being induced? I've read several times of members wanting to go into labor on their own. You guys are right. I'll have a conversation next week. Petunia thanks for answering, I asked on the other thread why you were being induced.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 09:10 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Wed Aug 29, 2012 09:10 pm

mychaelelaine wrote:So, what are negatives to being induced? I've read several times of members wanting to go into labor on their own. You guys are right. I'll have a conversation next week. Petunia thanks for answering, I asked on the other thread why you were being induced.

Mainly, you might be setting yourself up for a difficult labor and delivery and you are more likely to end up with a c-section.

Unless you do an amnio prior to test for lung maturity, the baby's lungs might not be fully developed (although after 37 weeks, that risk is relatively low), or other "preemie" issues- jaundice, difficulty breastfeeding, etc. But there's no guarantees. My friend had a c-section at 41 weeks and her baby ended up having jaundice and a lot of trouble feeding too. DS's lungs were fine, he needed the lights for jaundice for a day and a half or so (but not so bad he couldn't stay in our room), and we did struggle a bit with nursing-though that was mainly due to very unhelpful/not-breastfeeding friendly staff at the hospital. (It got much better after we were finally released and he ended up breastfeeding for over a year.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 pm

I see. Thanks Angie!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

Against widely held opinion, our exploratory analysis showed that women with gestational hypertension or mild pre-eclampsia at term who have an unfavourable cervix benefited more from labour induction than other women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22703475

With gestational hypertensives, they are actually *less likely* to need a Caesarean if they are induced than then are if they wait for spontaneous labor. That seems to be because they're more likely to progress to a crisis situation waiting.

Now, if you're really not having any symptoms, that's one thing. But hypertension controlled by meds - which we see a lot of around here - is not the same thing as asymptomatic. The symptoms are controlled, for the time being, on meds...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Aug 30, 2012 07:30 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Thu Aug 30, 2012 07:30 pm

Thanks caryn! I will read.
mychaelelaine

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?