Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Talk to me about nuchal cord...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Talk to me about nuchal cord...

Postby Petunia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Everyone,

So I've made it to 34 weeks 3 days... baby looks great, no bp issues yet or anything pre-e which is great. I really was doing pretty well... then we had our growth scan yesterday. Of course our regular MFM had to be at the hospital so we had to see the other one... that did not go well. He informed us baby had nuchal cord, then spat out some stupid statistics that I don't really care about (because what loss mom does?) and then practically ran out of the room. No time for us to ask questions... he didn't even look at baby or cord flow himself. After this I talked to my regular OB who said he read the report and isn't one bit concerned. I still feel like I total mess though... I know women who lost their babies and whose autopsy reports identify nuchal cord as the cause of death so I don't understand why nobody is concerned.

I KNOW it's common, I know it's not a big deal for many many people... but I'm just terrified now. I'm going to talk to my regular MFM today just so I have all of the opinions, and ask him about getting another u/s next week because if it resolves itself I would want to know so I can calm the * down... but is there anything you can say to make me feel better?? Personal experiences with a nuchal cord spotted on an u/s?
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: Talk to me about nuchal cord...

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 01:33 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 01:33 pm

I'm sorry, as if you needed any anxiety, huh? I don't have any advice or knowledge. Just wanted to say I was keeping you and baby in my thoughts and prayers!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby sam10 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 01:59 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 01:59 pm

I don't have any experience nor advice, other than I am glad you are requesting to do a repeat next week and will be talking to YOUR MFM. I understand how anxious you must be.

I'll be thinking of you and am sending you a big hug.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Bmoremama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:53 pm

by Bmoremama (22 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:53 pm

I don't have any experience either, but I found this info, much of which I didn't know!
http://midwifethinking.com/2010/07/29/nuchal-cords/
I'm sorry you're dealing with this and the way you were treated too!
Bmoremama

Postby angieb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Ugh, like you needed more stress!

I am a little surprised they even told you. I don't believe they will deliver for it.

I have a friend who had a daughter stillborn at 34 weeks, for unexplained reasons, then went on to have a healthy baby girl just this summer. She was induced and had a natural birth, and found out later that her (living) daughter had a nuchal cord at delivery, she is just fine right now. They might have known and not told her, but it wasn't an issue. She was monitored twice a week with NST's and fluid level checks, which I think is a good idea.

Sorry you are going through this. Definitely talk to your MFM about it.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby Petunia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks ladies... I was able to talk to my regular MFM yesterday and feel much better now. He said with a "regular" patient with no history if they saw nuchal cord x1 they wouldn't even do monitoring or ultrasounds at all, it's that common. He said with nuchal cord x2 they would add monitoring, and with x3 they might consider delivery. His cord was only x1, but I am already having additional monitoring because of my history, so we are having bi-weekly NSTs and ultrasounds already.... so we will be able to see if it were to get worse and then could reconsider. He also said it may even resolve on its own, which would be amazing just to not have that worry at all.

He's been super active the last few days making me feel better.... so today I'm trying to just celebrate that 3 weeks from today is our eviction date! I just CANNOT wait to meet my beautiful rainbow.
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Return to Pregnant Again?