Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anyone have polyhydramnios and have a healthy baby?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Anyone have polyhydramnios and have a healthy baby?

Postby cgoodi1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:34 pm

by cgoodi1 (72 Posts), Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

So for those of you who don't know my story I am currently 26 weeks 5 days pregnant with my second baby. In my first pregnancy I got severe preeclampsia and hellp and unfortunately had a stillbirth at 21 weeks. This pregnancy was going much better than my previous one. In the first one, I had pe symptoms very very early (gained 20 pounds by 10 weeks) and at my 18 week ultrasound the baby was measuring two weeks behind. Then everything went downhill and more symptoms appeared.

With this pregnancy I am happy to report that I presently have no symptoms of preeclampsia as of yet. My 18 weeks ultrasound was good and so was the doppler checking the blood flow. My pressure readings are good so far and only my hands are a bit swollen.

I am however not having a perfect pregnancy. I have been gaining more weight than the doctors would like to see and this is not from over eating (except maybe over the Christmas holidays :)
The doctor thought I looked big and sent me for another ultrasound at 24+5 and I was diagnosed with moderate polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid). When the doctor saw the results he commented that the baby was big. During the ultrasound the technician looked for other abnormalities but everything seemed to measure up ok (no physical problems were detected). He said he'd like to see me again in 3 weeks.

Since I studied science in school I tend to research anything that I don't know about so when I got home I began looking up moderate polyhydramnios. This was probably not the best idea because now I am very worried about my baby. I was tested three times for gestational diabetes and I don't have that so far so that is not the cause of the polyhydramnios. After researching, I noticed most of the other causes have to do with problems that the baby has. Many had to do with swallowing/digestion issues but nothing showed up on the ultrasounds. Another cause is trisomy 13, 18 or 21 (Patau syndrome, Edward's syndrome or Down's sydrome) and I am really concerned there could be something wrong. I really want my baby to be healthy. I didn't have an amnio done because I'm only 27 and didn't feel the need for it.

Has anyone had polyhydramnios before that was in the moderate level and have a healthy baby? I'm looking for some shreads of hope :)
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Re: Anyone have polyhydramnios and have a healthy baby?

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:50 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:50 pm

So sorry you are facing bumps! So not fair. I've had polyhydramnois in all three of my pregnancies and all three were very very different. I've had lots of talks with my doctors why it has happened, and most of the time there really is no cause it just is. Just like measuring for low fluid, your AFI can change drastically depending on how baby is sitting and who is measuring, so one measurement that is a little above wouldn't be anything to worry about (and I say that with a HUGE grain of salt because I've had two pregnancies after loss and I think I worried about um... everything! :) ).

With our first it was severe, I think our fluid was up to 38 when it was caught and we had an amnio reduction. It was guessed at the time that the poly was due to complications she had, but since we wound up with poly in all 3 pregnancies now the guess is maybe baby and I just like to make amniotic fluid. It was also guessed that the poly caused my PTL, but again, since we wound up with PTL in subsequent pregnancies they aren't so sure.

We had moderate poly with our 2nd and 3rd and everything was absolutely fine. With our 3rd, our numbers got close to the severe range again... but also jumped around a bit. We passed our GD and then failed it near the end, so could still be GD related...

Sorry a bit all over the place, but I know how worrisome a bump can be so wanted to be sure I responded straight away. Three poly pregnancies... and most of the time, just is. In fact our MFM with our 2nd was actually glad to see a bit of poly since with our BP low amniotic fluid was more of a concern.

Keep posted when you can and please feel free to PM or ask questions here if ya want more info on poly and how our pregnancies went/were managed with it.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone have polyhydramnios and have a healthy baby?

Postby afaiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 01:18 pm

by afaiz (41 Posts), Thu Jan 03, 2013 01:18 pm

I have no experience but crossing my fingers & praying for the best for you!
afaiz

Return to Pregnant Again?