28 weeks and measuring significantly small?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

28 weeks and measuring significantly small?

Postby Sunshinebubs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:17 am

Im 28+4 weeks pregnant with my second baby (see signature for past history). I just had my growth assessment at the hospital. They did a scan and I am measuring significantly small. Needless to say I am now worried sick.
My BP is normal, they did find infection in my urine so have sent that away to the lab to be tested further and the scan showed that blood flow from placenta to baby is absolutely fine.
Should be concerned? Could this be a sign that everything is about to go wrong again?

I see my midwife next week, and then another scan 2 weeks from today and depending on the outcome of all tests again they said they wanted to discuss steroid injections incase of pre-term birth?!?

Its all so disappointing, and Im scared after what happened last time. :cry:

Anyone else measure small after having a history of pre-e but go on to have a normal delivery?
~ Daughter born @36 weeks due to sudden severe pre-eclampsia, weighing 4lb 1/2oz. Now a happy and healthy 2 year old ;)

~ Expecting baby No 2 and praying for a smooth pregnancy and birth
Sunshinebubs

Re: 28 weeks and measuring significantly small?

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Mar 27, 2013 06:42 pm

I'm so sorry you're facing a bit of a bump- totally unfair after already facing a complicated pregnancy. Did they give you any specific information? Baby is measuring small- specific areas? It's reassuring to hear that the flow is good between baby and placenta- at the same time I'm sure the size worrisome. I'm thankful they have caught things quickly and I'm hopeful you'll have answers soon.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 04:06 pm

Yes, what are the specifics? Small overall, small head, etc.? Percentiles?

I measured small with both of my children, by fundal height (WAAAAAY small, but I have a long torso and I think I just can hide a baby), but also some of my ultrasounds suggested potential IUGR. It is indeed scary, but I'm encouraged that they are keeping close tabs on you.

It could seriously be nothing at all. It could be just what the ultrasound showed that day. Your baby could have a big growth spurt between now and two weeks and show no issue at all. Here's hoping!

Hang in there, and keep us updated.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby Sunshinebubs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

Thank you so much for your replies. Basically they aren't telling me much about specifics, only that baby is below 10th percentile? Baby is sitting below their 'recommended' line. So far all other vital signs are looking good. Surely it's feasible that I just might have a small baby in there? I had my follow up scan yesterday which saw a bit of growth, enough for them to hold off on steroid injections and pre-birth plan, but still well below the line.
I guess all I can do is keep taking each week as it comes and hope for a growth spurt. Im doing all I can to help; eating right, plenty of good calories, Im finishing work earlier than planned now so only 9 working days left. I will be able to rest more.

They said I would have to have a monitored birth if baby didn't at least come up to the line. Is this right? I seem destined not to get my water birth :( Don't get me wrong, the most important thing is for me and baby to get through this safely...Im just a bit disappointed and sad that things are looking this way for my last and final pregnancy and birth. xx
~ Daughter born @36 weeks due to sudden severe pre-eclampsia, weighing 4lb 1/2oz. Now a happy and healthy 2 year old ;)

Sunshinebubs

Postby Sunshinebubs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 08:03 am

Baby is showing signs of asymmetrical IUGR. Head appears to be average/bigger than average but body is behind. Have another scan in the morning. Bump doesn't look any bigger....urgh.

Sunshinebubs

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 am

Aw, I'm sorry baby is having trouble gaining weight. Keep posted after tomorrows scan- how many weeks now?

Sending good thoughts your way!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am

Sometimes ultrasounds are off. I'm glad they are keeping an eye on you, and with every day your baby is getting bigger. How are you doing now?
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby amjon » Fri May 03, 2013 09:43 pm

Did they check your uterine blood flow or just the placenta/ baby's? Also, have you tried resting on your left side and increasing both protein and water intake. With twins many moms are told to do those things to help increase the babies' weights and it should help with a singleton baby as well. (My MFM had me add a protein snack and more rest, though my babies were measuring fine I wasn't gaining weight and she was concerned they would fall behind.)
ImageImage
amjon

Return to Pregnant Again?