I protest!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

I protest!

Postby mlbaker » Sat May 04, 2013 03:23 pm

28 weeks pregnant with #3. This has been a great pregnancy. BPs have been wonderful....the best they've ever been in my adult life. I've been feeling great. I've been so active this pregnancy. I couldn't have been happier. We waited for 5 years to get pregnant again after my last two pregnancies....and adopted three times because we didn't think we were comfortable getting pregnant again.....I have been so thrilled with how things have been going.

Day before yesterday I started getting some shortness of breath and felt like I was going to pass out. Normal pregnancy stuff. Yesterday I woke up puking. Figured I had a stomach bug. I took my BP later in the day just in case and they were rising. I had been around 110/75 for a long time. Yesterday they were around 130/85. Boo. Today they are more like 135/95....but they will go down if I lay on my left side.

I guess I just want to whine. My husband is out of town so he's not here for me to whine to. :) I'm disappointed. I'm not worried because I've been down this path twice before and everything turned out fine in the end. I know what to watch for and have a good idea of when I need to go to the hospital. I'm just sad. It felt so good to be a happily and joyfully pregnant. It felt so good to be active. I had grand plans to lay a patio, paint my living room, and landscape my front yard before the baby comes. I don't think that's happening. Bummer. But if feels good to get it out. :D
mlbaker

Re: I protest!

Postby sam10 » Sat May 04, 2013 06:34 pm

Oh, I know. Sending you hugs.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Man- total protest!! I called it my Brat Attacks. :) I hope this is a mild blip well controlled with meds if it gets to that point and that a beautifully landscaped yard is still in your future... or that you're at least able to bark directions from a a lounge chair happily pregnant and get it all done before baby comes!!!

:)
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby mlbaker » Sun May 05, 2013 05:53 pm

Just out of curiosity, have any of you been instructed NOT to take your BPs at home? This afternoon I would up at L&D. I wasn't going to call, but then I realized that if I was developing pre-e, it would be wise to know as soon as possible so the steroid injection could be given. I thought it prudent given the my BPs were up and I was vomiting. Labs and urine were perfect, which was fantastic.

When I left L&D the nurse said, "The doctor tells me you take your blood pressure at home. You need to stop doing that." I was kind of dumbfounded. In my other two pregnancies I had severe PIH and preeclampsia. I also have chronic hypertension that I developed after my first pregnancy. I've been taking my pressures maybe once a week since I've been pregnant. Isn't it wise to monitor my BP? I think she was trying to suggest that if I wouldn't have been monitoring my BP at home, I never would have thought it prudent to come in.

I'm pretty laid back about all this stuff. I'm not one to freak out.....but I am really uncomfortable with the idea of not monitoring BPs at home. Isn't this what those that are high risk for pre-e are supposed to do?
mlbaker

Postby sam10 » Sun May 05, 2013 06:09 pm

I was only told not to overdo it and take it too often (2-3 days max). Also, I did not take it every day at the early stages of my pregnancy. I am not sure why the nurse instructed you not to take it, but I would continue taking your BP at home. Glad all is looking good :-)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Sun May 05, 2013 07:48 pm

I'm protesting with you! Arg! I hope it's just a blip and it goes back to normal.

And...what? I think it is perfectly reasonable to be taking your BP at home. I'm doing mine, and my OB thinks that is a great idea. What does your doc say?
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Return to Pregnant Again?